Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi,

My dad's computer is running windows ME edition and when running an antivirus/ad-aware scan it comes across a folder with like 38,000 files in it and we are unable to remove them.

I have tried starting in safe mode but for some reason still cannot touch the files.

the files are located here:

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP

but the thing is, the TEMP folder doesn't show even if I go into the "_RESTORE" folder. I also told the folder options to "show hidden files and folders" still no luck.

the TEMP folder is where all of the virus files are held and I can't access them. The files read as follows:

adware not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Agent.y
adware not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Chiem.a
adware not-a-virus:AdWare.Win32.Softomate.q

and so on and so forth.

The files are all .CPY files, and I've never heard of that before.

So to recap:

Folder has 38000 files, some detected as viruses/adware, can't do anything to themat all, even in safe mode, can't manually find the TEMP folder, only seen in the scan.

I can't find anything for help on the internet about this, anyone have any Ideas? This folder is 7GB in size so it's a big deal.

Please send a response to my email as well, I don't know if I'll remember to check this site:

Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, you know what? I actually know how to solve this! Only cause I asked for help on the same thing :p I'll copy and paste from this thread:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/sec...29086-repsonse-my-other-topic.html#post719855

Windows ME reset System Restore
===============

To turn off System Restore go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. On the Performance tab click File System. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then check "Disable System Restore". Click OK. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart Windows.

Reboot your system.

To turn on System Restore go to Start > Settings > Control Panel and double-click on the System icon. On the Performance tab click File System. Click the Troubleshooting tab, and then uncheck "Disable System Restore". Click OK. Click Yes when you are prompted to restart Windows. You will then need to manually create a restore point.

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Restore. Now create a new Restore Point.
It worked for me, and even freed up a lot of drive space... Don't thank me, thank 'tetonbob'.
Yay for me for posting my first 'help' post!..

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

We couldn't get this fixed, and ME starting going downhill on us here and there so it's gone now.

I spent all day yesterday upgrading from WinME to WinXP.

Dell Dimension 4100 (from the year 2000)
Intel Pentium III @ 863 MHz
256 MB RAM (upgraded from 128)

Now running Windows XP Professional w/SP2 and full Microsoft Office 2003.

·
TSF Team Emeritus , Microsoft Visiting Expert
3,258 Posts
Just a little note -

If you can get another 256mb into that system, to raise the system memory total to 512mb, XP Pro's performance will noticeably improve. It's very tough to run SP2 systems on just 256mb, the background services and processes require just about that much -- and the swap file just ends up slapping back and forth from the hard drive & slows everything to a crawl. If you have media players and instant messengers running from startup to shutdown, you definitely will want to search extra memory.

Those PIII's last forever. It might still be running ten years from now.
. . . Gary

[P.S. Nice repair tip, Kittay = that is indeed just the repair that works for the Windows Me System Restore folder]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.