Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have WinME installed in my computer. It has a 60G hardisk partitioned into C, D and E, each with 20G. I ran Norton Utilities to defrag my harddrives. C and D defraged without problem. A message poped up when defragging E saying that it has a problem that could be repaired using NDD. I clicked yes and the computer hanged. Upon rebooting, it states that there was an improper shutdown and started scandisk where it hanged again.

I reboot and try restore to roll back, but windows still fails to boot up on three different restore dates.

I use a boot disk and try running NDD. It gave a message that the drive cannot be repaired.

I run chkdsk and it displayed total disk space,hidden files, user file and bytes available on disk, but hangs after displayin those lines.

I don't think drive E is physically damaged as it is a partition of a 60G disk. Windows cannot start up as it fails to read Drive E.

Is there any other way to repair my drive E without doing a Fdisk?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a last ditch solution for you. Using Norton Ghost make a ghost image of each partition, obviously not the whole disk. If this machine has a CD burner you can make the image directly to a CD using Ghost 2003 if not you will need a spare hard drive. When you have finished you can remove the partitions on the troublesome disk, I would use Killdisk this can be obtained free from the internet it has the benefit of destroying the boot track so you should not have any residual problems from the first build. If your disk proves to be ok you can then reload the partitions that work and may be even have a look at the bad partition(s) you may be able to fix it or them.
This solution has the benefit of allowing you more than one try to solve your problem, you will also find out if your first disk is damaged.

Regards SuperCub

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.