Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had Windows 7 x64 for a while; all fine and dandy. I decided to give the new Win 8 Developer Preview a go (x64)- I installed it to a separate partition on the same HD as Win7- all went smooth as expected. I've spent the past day or 2 playing around with Win8- but decide I want to boot back into 7. So Win8's installed the lovely new Graphic Bootloader and has both OS's listed (again as expected). I select Win7 and it reboots and attempts to load from the Win7 partition (can't fault it) until it instantly loads the whole recovery / repair failsafe of Win7. That's unable to detect any issues with boot, however upon exiting that I'm thrown back to the graphic bootloader of Win8, and the circle continues. So I realised that I still have recoverymode enabled on my Win7 entry in the BCD; I go ahead and disable it to be greeted with a message explaining that winload.exe is no digitally signed (when trying to boot Win7). If I try to access advanced options to temporarily disable driver signing I'm taken to the new bootloader which gives me no such options for Win7.

So I'm unable to boot back into 7. I can still get on the Dev Preview of 8 (in fact that's where I am right now), but I'm a little confused; why is Win7 now spitting out this error on boot? Surely the new Win8 bootloader isn't too dissimilar to manage booting Win7 correctly?

Anyone else having similar issues? Anyone know of a fix? I miss Win7! I do appreciate that these are the risks I take in installing pre-beta preview releases, so I'm not complaining so much as expressing intrigue into a possible cause and solution? Any ideas would be great!

Cheers,
Dean

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
The Windows 8 Developer Preview I believe is recommended to use in a VM player.

What is your systems make and model?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I did try virtualising it first in VMware Workstation however to no avail. From searching around apparently the only way to virtualise it in a working state is to use VirtualBox or Hyper-V.

My System info can be viewed under the "My System" menu to the left of my posts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK So I managed to remove the graphic bootloader and revert back to the text-based vista/7 loader using the 7 recovery mode. Still running into the same issues.

So I was browsing my Win7 drive (in cmd under recovery mode) and noticed that I had a winload~1.exe in there alongside this supposedly unsigned winload.exe. I swapped winload~1.exe in for winload.exe (of course backing up the original) and now it boots. I've lost the graphic bootloader of Win8 but at least I'm back up and running. Also another subtle issue is that my Win7 boot animation has reverted to the Vista style; the green marquee bar on black. It's far from the end of the world and a quick google reveals it's a fairly common issue. Still it does imply something's not right.

I've sfc'd winload.exe and it claimed to have replaced it with a correct version but to no avail. I've also tried a couple of bcd option fixes; but still nothing. Not entirely sure what else to try. I suppose I can't complain about a working system, but I'm just not happy knowing something's not right somewhere.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Have you tried repairing Windows using the Windows 7 recovery mode? When the Windows files are loaded select the Windows 7 Partition when it's detected then repair it.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,753 Posts
Hi, wonder what the boot loader looks like, cmd as admin type:-

bcdedit>0 & start notepad 0

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JackBauer_24; what do you mean by repair it exactly? If you're referring to the Startup Repair tool it's not detecting any startup issues to repair.

jenae; my bcd looks like this right now:

Code:
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=C:
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {ac9ff1df-e0b8-11e0-84f4-8dc4f980a67a}
displayorder            {current}
                        {205cc612-e176-11e0-8c3d-0015830b33a6}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 5
displaybootmenu         Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 7: Home Premium
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
resumeobject            {ac9ff1df-e0b8-11e0-84f4-8dc4f980a67a}
nx                      OptIn
pae                     Default
detecthal               Yes
sos                     No
debug                   No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {205cc612-e176-11e0-8c3d-0015830b33a6}
device                  vhd=[C:]\VHD\win_8_dev.vhd
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description             Windows 8: Developer Preview
osdevice                vhd=[C:]\VHD\win_8_dev.vhd
systemroot              \Windows
detecthal               Yes

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Delete this>>>>
Windows Boot Loader ------------------- identifier {205cc612-e176-11e0-8c3d-0015830b33a6} device vhd=[C:]\VHD\win_8_dev.vhd path \Windows\system32\winload.exe description Windows 8: Developer Preview locale en-US osdevice vhd=[C:]\VHD\win_8_dev.vhd systemroot \Windows detecthal Yes
Reboot.

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
What i mean by repair is in the Windows Repair Environment which is loaded by pressing something during your computer Post or by using a Windows 7 DVD.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's that environment that I was using to browse my Win7 partition. FYI I've since removed the Win8 partition and gone to a vhd dual-boot instead. If I were to delete as you've suggested I'd lose the ability to boot into Win8 Dev Preview and subsequently lose my dual-boot.

I don't see much wrong with the bcd as it stands, and following recent chkdsk and sfc scans- my hard drive's fine and so are my system files- so the incorrect boot animation is a mystery- unless I've somehow set a too low of a resolution to be used by the bootloader, so while the correct animation remains; the resolution isn't high enough and it's reverting to the vista-style anim? That's just be pondering of course; I don't know how to, if it's possible, to tell the bootloader the display resolution to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.