Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forums trying to find the answer for this, but I just can't find the right one. I've been working on a computer for a family member and was in the middle of a HiJackThis fix. I just was about to start working on it again when I get on and the background picture appears, the cursor, and nothing else. So I tried booting into Safe Mode. It says Explorer.exe - Unable to locate component. And then tells me I'm missing wininet.dll and I can't even get explorer going... so I have no idea how to get this file into System32 if I can't get explorer going. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

P

·
0 Posts
Hello,

I would proceed with more clean up. You might have fixed an entry you werent sopposed to. I would first go to the folder which your hjt is running from and under backup folder restore the last entries you fixed. Malware might give you false error messages. Check the spesific folder and check if the wininet.dll is there ( you can use cmd right ? ). If missing try start - run - sfc /scannow and let the system do a scan ( it doesnt work in safe mode - do not think it is not working eighter - ) Again I would do as much cleaning as i could do. After the clean up we can do a repair installation. ( i dont prefer a repair installation when the system is infected ) Also you might get expert help with your cleaning under hjt log help under TSF security forum.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am doing a log in that forum. It got deleted because a virus was atached to it and was deleted along with the virus when I ran the virus scan they told me to. I guess I didn't explain good. I don't have ANYTHING. In safe mode I have the black background and a cursor and that's all. No icons, no start bar, no nothing. So that's why I'm worried about getting the file in. Ugh..

P

·
0 Posts
Hmm below there is a link for a desktop taskbar fix. DT-TB_fix . Download and put it on a floppy or usb flash driver. Run it through the task manager ( ctrl + alt +del ) file - run and pick up the destination. Should be able to fix the desktop if it is a reg corruption.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.