Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an e-machine, running windows xp pro.
Win Patrtol is telling me I've got a problem with a program called windir32.exe.
It most likey was from a link that my daughter clicked on when she rec'd it from a friend on AIM.
The main symptoms I've noticed are slowing of my internet connection and also here is what has happened:
Initially, WinPatrol said there was a new program in the start up and asked if it was okay to accept it. I clicked on "no", and looked up the name of it on line (windir32.exe). It said that it was called worm_rbot.rbq (I think that's the right extension). Upon calling my son (CS major), to ask for help, he helped walk me through steps to delete it from somewhere (?)- there were 2 files, one was the "WinDir32.exe" and one was a prefetch file, I beleive it was just called windir32. I thought we had gotten rid of it, but the next time I got on the computer, WinPatrol said that it was there still. This time I noticed an icon on my desk top that said picture33. Upon calling my son, he said there was a virus/worm going thru AIM that was called picture33.com. I looked at the properties, and it's ext. was com - picture33.com. I was unable to delete it becuase the computer said that it was being accessed/used by another program. We went back into the file (helping me by phone) this time in the "Safe" mode. We "successfully" deleted the WinDir32.exe and the windir32 prefetch file. Then I was able to delete the picture33 icon from my desk top. I was just leaving the computer, and WinPatrol notified me that it was there again. I had already run AVG-Free twice after the first time of deleting the worm, and was in the process of running it again. It did NOT find a virus or worm after running th complete scan for about 63 minutes.

Now, when I do a search, as I had for the other two times, it is not showing up on the C drive, even when I search the hidden files (complete search). (I think it was in the windir32 folder when I found it before, not sure as I was following my son's instructions which were too fast to write down) - but when I deleted it one of the times, a blue folder was there saying that the files were hidden. I believe that it is still on my computer, since WinPatrol notified me that it was still there after deleting it 2 times. I have heard that we may have to go into the registry to remove it, but now I'm not completely sure that it is there, since I can't seem to find it again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.