Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Windowsxp is loading the install files from the cd, it suddenly stops and says, "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to youe computer." I'm sure there are multiple reasons why this could be happening, but could someone tell me what they are and how to fix this?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
:eek: whoops accidentally locked this one for a second there. :no:

Anyway does it give you any other information @ all, where during the installation do you get this message?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the bottom of the screen, it says, "loading files....., then it says "starting windows," and then it gives me the error....here is exactly what it says:

"A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure that it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF898963C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

S

·
0 Posts
When I have had this problem I have cured it by writing zeros to the drive before loading the OS.

What brand of hard drive are you using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I updated my bios, changed the FSB options to what you said, and that seemed to fix most of the problems. Now I actually get to the screen where you are given the option of installing windowsxp, or recovering an old installation of it. However, when I chose to install windows, it says that no hard disk drives are detected. What do I need to do to fix THIS?

S

·
0 Posts
What kind of hard drive are you using? And does the bios recognize the drive?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dont remember what kind of hard drives....I think the hard drives are being read by the bios. When the computer is booting, it shows my raid setup, and when I enter it, it shows my hard drives, so I think they are being read. Would updating the raid drivers help?

S

·
0 Posts
You didn't say anything about two drives or a raid array in this thread anywhere Ben!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry...I guess I lost track of what I have said on what thread and on what website. Yeah, I think in another thread on this site I said I have a KR7A-raid motherboard, but I didn't say that in this thread. Anyway, thats what I have, with two 40gb hard drives and a raid-0 array

S

·
0 Posts
Now if put the XP CD into the drive and you set the bios to boot from CD-Rom when it starts to load watch the bottom of the screen.

When you see press F6 to install a driver for your raid or whatever it says press F6.

When it asks install the floppy with your driver on it.

If you don't have a driver you will need to download one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I dont have the driver and I dont know where to get it. I tried looking on the Abit website, and found a driver but it didn't work. It gave me a message saying it couldn't find the txtsetup.oem file (I think that's what it was). I have tried to find drivers elsewhere but with no luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I finally found the right drivers and got that part to work. I pressed S at that one screen that asks about scsi and whatever. So I think that fixed the error with the hard drives not being detected, since I get past where it was giving me that error before. BUT, now I am getting an error that says to check to make sure that there is adequate space on my hard drives. This happened right after it asked me if I wanted to set up partitions or install windows on one of the current partitions. what now?

S

·
0 Posts
Try this, Go here and download a Win98 boot disk.

Put a new floppy in the drive and double click the program you downloaded to create a boot disk.

Change the boot sequence to boot to the floppy drive first.

Insert the newly created boot disk and boot to it selecting start computer without CD-Rom support.

At the A:> prompt type fdisk and follow the instructions that are presented to you.

When finished fdisking you will need to format the drive with the same boot disk.

At the beginning of the format it should display the size of the partition that it's formatting, And it should be less than 80 gig. probably around 78+ gig.

If it is under 40 Gig. then the raid array was not created.

Post the results here.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.