Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gradually ending life support for my XP PCs, but I'm trying to learn something. I took a Dell Optiplex 760 SATA HDD and put it in a Dell Dimension 8400 that can use both IDE and SATA. While it works, some drivers for hardware are missing, and the PC won't go into sleep mode (just off or restart). How can this be fixed, or is this due to the missing drivers below:

1) Ethernet controller
Broadcomm NetXtreme BCM5751 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
VEN_14E4&DEV_1677&SUBSYS_01771028&REV_01

2) Multimedia Audio Controller
Intel 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97
VEN_8086&DEV_266E&SUBSYS_01771028&REV_03

3) PCI Simple Communication
Conexant
VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200F14F1&REV_00

4a) Video Controllers
AMD RV370 [Radeon X300SE]
VEN_1002&DEV_5B70&SUBSYS_03031002&REV_00
4b) AMD RV370 5B60 [Radeon X300 (PCIE)]
VEN_1002&DEV_5B60&SUBSYS_03021002&REV_00

I've searched for these drivers online, but no luck, so I'd appreciate ideas.

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
All drivers for all computers and motherboards are available for free from the manufacturer.
On an internet computer, go to the Dell Download Drivers site for your model. type in your Service Tag # or use the link provided.
Scroll to the bottom and click Show All 111 drivers. First, Download the Intel Chipset driver and save it to a USB Flash drive. Install this on the troubled computer and restart the computer.
Next download the Intel LAN Device driver. Once you have internet, then you can use that computer to go back to that page, and download
The AMD Radeon driver, and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately, the Dell service tag number doesn't work, as Dell has removed the specs and drivers from its website. I've also searched the manufacturer's and archive sites for drivers without success, but are they the reason why the PC won't go into sleep/standby mode?

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
My bad, I searched for the Optiplex computer instead of the Dimension. You don't have to put in your Service Tag# just use this link Support for Dimension 8400 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell US. It has not been removed.
Choose show all 69 of the drivers.
Download the Intel Chipset Driver, then restart the computer. Then download the Broadcom Integrated Controller (LAN), After you have internet, then return to the page and download the ATI Radeon driver and any other drivers you need from the Device Manager.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was great help, and I was able to install 3 out of 4 drivers. The only one left is the Multimedia Audio Controller (Intel), and the Dell search engine doesn't recognize my service tag or the hardware specs above. I tried installing the driver for Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio, v.5.12.01.5246, A22 but it made my PC reboot constantly, so I removed it in Safe Mode. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
41,099 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A very strange thing has happened: There is no yellow question mark over the Intel Multimedia Audio Controller, yet when I click on it under System Devices, the General tab says there is no driver installed. When I try to install a driver from the .zip file above, there are two .inf files (smwdmCH6 and smwdmSIS) and both give the error message, "Specified location doesn't contain information about the hardware." I'm not sure where the .zip file came from, but does the 5x64 imply a 64-bit system? Mine is only 32-bit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, I should have said there is still no sound, and I troubleshot without success. I wanted to start over, but an earlier driver, Vinyl AC'97 codec combo (WDM), wouldn't fully uninstall, and keeps loading upon restarting. This prevents me from uninstalling Soundmax, while that non-functional icon remains in Control Panel. What can I do?
BTW, I have a Dell Resource CD and a Tools CD from another Dimension model of the same era, but could not find an ADI driver folder on them.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sometimes, this is not about software or drivers. I have a similar situation. I have an old monitor which will not go into sleep mode. It only has the old style VGA connector and is not Energy Star compliant. The video adapter has DVI and HDMI capabilities. It is only a few months old. I have to use a DVI to VGA adapter to connect the monitor. Not many have a 17-year-old flat-screen that still works. The display quality on this one is excellent. I don't complain. I simply press the power button.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to say, I've given up trying to resolve the sound driver conflicts, unless someone knows software that can do so. As I wrote earlier, the "Vinyl AC'97 codec combo (WDM), wouldn't fully uninstall, and keeps loading upon restarting. This prevents me from uninstalling Soundmax, while that non-functional icon remains in Control Panel." I couldn't even find the relevant code with regedit, so this should warn others to avoid this driver. At least I can use the PC without sound, and got the sleep issue resolved. Thanks for all your time and help. :geek:

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
AC97 and the Soundmax are the right driver for your sound device. You should be able to restart and press F8 at bootup, go to Safe Mode with Networking, go to the Device Manager, and Expand Sound and Game Controllers, and right click AC97 and Uninstall it. Then go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press Enter and uninstall AC97 or Soundmax. Do not restart, go to the link in post #4 and download the Audio driver for the Dimension 8400 and install it. It should install overwriting the previous driver

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The first step went fine, but appwiz was unable to uninstall AC97 or Soundmax, as the icon remained. Thus, I could not reinstall the Dell audio driver. I've attached the Device Manager window, which shows the SM Bus Controller as 266A (266E was the original hardware ID) and no driver installed. BUT when I click on the Driver tab, it shows Intel driver v. 6.0.0.1013 dated 4/1/2004, and cannot update or roll back the driver. Would update BIOS from A03 to A09 help?

Attachments

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
Booting Windows into Normal mode should allow you to be able to Uninstall the AC97 driver from Add & Remove Programs (appwiz.cpl)
The SMBus Controller is for an SD Card Reader, If you installed the Intel Chipset driver and Restarted, it should install the SMBus Controller. This has nothing to do with the sound. But once the Chipset is installed, all other drivers, like the Sound driver should install properly.
Your picture shows the Audio drive is installed properly already.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the Soundmax and Vinyl AC'97 drivers are in conflict, but when I reinstalled the Intel chipset, I still could not delete the latter. In the screenshot attached, please see my search for Vinyl files, and when I try to trash them, there is an error message, "Cannot read from source file or disk."
In a 2nd screenshot of the Control Panel, the Soundmax icon is present, but when I click on it, nothing happens, and it cannot be deleted by Add/Remove Programs. When I click on Sounds and Audio Devices, the sub-panel opens, showing the Vinyl and Microsoft WAV devices. I think somehow the Vinyl sound controller blocked the Soundmax from installing properly, and I can't get rid of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
The SoundMax GUI is the part of the AC97 driver you see. You can't separate them because they are one in the same.
It looks like the driver is installed properly. Are you sure you have Powered Speakers installed? Are they plugged into the Green speaker out in the back of the Computer?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the speakers are plugged in properly. As I mentioned in Post #5, the SoundMax driver put my PC into an endless reboot cycle, so I had to uninstall it. What is the difference between VIA, SoundMax, and RealTek AC97 drivers, if any? I looked at the website Sound & Audio Drivers for Windows XP, Vista & Windows 7 to try to figure this out, but I don't know if I should choose Dell or Intel as the device manufacturer? Is it safe to use their free tool to diagnose and install the driver?

·
Registered
41,099 Posts
VIA is the particular Chipset for a Motherboard as opposed to Intel. SoundMax is the GUI interface of the AC97 driver. RealTek is a different Audio chip and the Audio driver for it.
You should use the driver from Dell for your Model #. That driver was specifically written for your hardware. If this doesn't work then you can try the Intel one.
Try Answer #3 in this link https://serverfault.com/questions/1...ver-completely-on-a-windows-xp-client-machine. Then reinstall the driver from the Dell page. If everything fails, the onboard Audio chip may have failed, at that point, get yourself a USB Sound card.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It wasn't clear to me which was answer #3 at serverfault.com, but many of the links were deactivated due to end of support for XP. In any case, I found an old SIIG brand USB sound stick to plug in and play sound when I need it. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts