Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our users has Windows XP running on his laptop. For about a week now he has been unable to shut down or log off of his computer. Ctrl-Alt-Del is not functioning, so I can't see if an app is running. There is nothing in the event log for this. When you go to Start -> Logoff or Shutdown, everything appears to work up until you select OK for the Restart, Shutdown, Log off, etc. Then the screen just flickers for a second and nothing else happens. I even tried forcing a shutdown from the command prompt using "shutdown -s -f"; same deal. Any one got any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like it could be a possible virus playing in your files, id slave the hard drive to another computer and ran a scan, and if that doesnt work, copy the files to another harddrive and format with f-disk and reload winxp, that should be able to fix it, other then that your comp could have to many things in teh startup and it is just taking a long time to shut every program down

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
Check the user policies in the computer adminstration. Maybe the user doesn't have privileges to shutdown the machine. I have seen users lock themselves completely out of their own computers by playing with the permissions. Let alone the new policy configs on XP.

Elevate them to Administrator to see if that cures the problem.

Otherwise War_Monger might be right.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to TSF Daywalker46410...........:D

Did this computer come with XP loaded on it? Or is it an upgrade?

Are you using fast switching?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.