Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Windows xp won't load and I used last good config to log on then I get as far as long on to user. When I click on my user the computer freezes up and does nothing

·
Registered
50 Posts
Try a Repair install of Windows. Insert Windows CD. Reboot computer. Allow the computer to boot to Windows CD. When prompted choose "Install Windows" at the first opportunity. Then at the second opportunity choose "REPAIR" (which is hitting the R key). Then let windows do a repair install. Theoretically this will not affect your data or programs, but I suggest making full backups first anyway, as backups are never a bad idea.

Also please note: Not all versions of Windows install CDs have the option for a Repair install. Let us know if that is true in your case.

NOTE: Choosing 'R' at the first opportunity will give you the Recovery Console and this is NOT what you want. You want to choose 'R' at the second opportunity.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I boot the cd it automatically says starting windows 98 and goes to system recovery. I have Windows xp factory installed onto my Toshiba Satellite M45-S269 I don't have any options can you help me out?

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
when you are posting about a laptop if you do not say so,you will receive advise for a desktop
you cannot use a win 98 disk for a recovery of xp,nothing had the rcovery console before xp
where did the 98 disk come from
if it was supplied with the computer they have given you the wrong disk and you will need to get in touch with them,for the right one
does the computer have a recovery partition

·
Registered
428 Posts
when you are posting about a laptop if you do not say so,you will receive advise for a desktop
you cannot use a win 98 disk for a recovery of xp,nothing had the rcovery console before xp
where did the 98 disk come from
if it was supplied with the computer they have given you the wrong disk and you will need to get in touch with them,for the right one
does the computer have a recovery partition
That is probably the right disk. Recovery partition disks generally say that while booting. Unfortunately I know nothing about recovery partitions other than the fact that they are stupid. What if your HD fails? No recovery partition, and your recovery disk is then useless. Its a big pain in the a$$, but you may have to make XP boot floppies, providing you have a floppy drive with your laptop. I wish I could be of more help

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.