Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

For the past couple of days I have noticed that my time is not being synchronised and updated using Date Time Properties facility.

I have changed nothing in either the Time Properties or my Norton Internet Security 2005 settings.

Every time I click the update button I get a message saying that an error occurred whilst Windows was synchronising with time.nist.gov

I have tried using time.windows.com as an alternative source but this also fails with the same error warning.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem and is there a remedy?

[/I]

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

Chances are your CMOS (CR2032) battery is bad. This holds your system time and our CMOS settings (boot order, overclock settings etc.) It's connected to your motherboard and it looks almost exactly like a quarter. You can purchase one from your local grocery/electronics store. What Windows does when it first boots up is it checks the time against your BIOS time and then, given the chance with an internet connection, will check it's time against a more accurate atomic clock. However, in order to do this it needs an internet connection and it only does it once a week or month, can't remember which.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

Stangest thing. I just booted up my laptop which is networked with my PC via a Modem/Router and checked the laptop time update and it was fine.

Still couldn't get the PC to update so I compared the NIS 2005 Firewall settings on both machines and they were identical.

I did notice however that whenever I tried to update the PC time I got a pop-up from NIS saying it had updated the rules for svhost.exe - this didn't happen before and didn't on the laptop.

I deleted the svhost.exe entry in the firewall programme list and when I update the time again it worked. It gave the pop-up from NIS that it had updated the rules for svshost.exe but after testing the update several times everything was normal with no further pop-ups.

Don't understand this, but interesting!

·
Banned
308 Posts
Hey,

I can see why that worked, but if your computer doesn't keep time and it's a few minutes off in the future, it's because your CMOS battery is bad.

Regards,

Brandon

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problem with the CMOS battery and yes, the PC does keep good time. It was just the sudden failure for a while of the automatic synchronisation that bothered me.

Thanks for your interest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.