Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing some very annoying issues lately with my laptop... My laptop has been taking a particularly long time to startup.

It will load windows xp and go into the black screen before the welcome screen where I can login... but it stays in the black screen for 5 or more minutes! It is so annoying!

My computer stats:

1.8 ghtz AMD Athlon-56 dual processor
2 gigabytes RAM
100 GB 7200 HD
256 MB Graphics accelerator

I have left this computer on for days and even weeks at a time and just got it about 4 months ago. Any ideas what the problem is?

And I am new! :D

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Hello and Welcome to TSF

Go into the BIOS and make sure the hard drive is set to first boot device

·
15,478 Posts
When you press the button to start up the computer you will need to tap lightly either F2 or the delete key to enter Setup. Without knowing what make/model your system is I am unsure how yours is to enter Setup. Computers are all different. Sometimes you can see writing on the screen saying Press F2 to enter Setup ever so quickly before the XP splash screen appears. Do you recall seeing anything on the screen like that while the system boots?

Once in the BIOS (Setup) you will need to look for Boot order and change it to boot from the hard drive as first device. Everything is done using the keyboard in setup like arrow keys and esc key.

I have supplied a link on various BIOS manufacturers and Computer vendors to help you find the correct way for you to enter the BIOS

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I will do that at my next restart, I forgot to mention I have 2 external hard drives booting up with my computer, my total space is totaling 1 TB.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct, one 500 gig drive, one 400 gig drive and my laptop drive is 100 gigs. I will disconnect them and see if they work.

·
15,478 Posts
The boot sequence may be set to look for those devices before the actually internal hard drive hence my suggestion :grin:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah, I am using all but 20 gigs on my 500 and about 125 on my 400 gig drive. Perhaps the computer is looking for the files on the drive before starting my regular HD?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Did you try to disconnect the drives and restart Windows? If so, what were the results? Also, did you check your BIOS (from Geekgirl's earlier post)?

Lydokane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The BIOS is untouchable, all the items are "View Only" meaning I cannot prioritize anything. I Assume cyberpowerpc (Google them) lock it so I cant mess with it and than cash in on the warranty?

Anyways, it did boot faster with just 1 drive (My main drive) plugged in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah, well I do that regularly with CA Antivirus, bug doctor, aswm optimizer, spybot, ad-aware and yahoo antispy among others. I am pretty sure I am virus free.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The BIOS is untouchable, all the items are "View Only" meaning I cannot prioritize anything. I Assume cyberpowerpc (Google them) lock it so I cant mess with it and than cash in on the warranty?

Anyways, it did boot faster with just 1 drive (My main drive) plugged in.
I've never heard of anything like this (not that it couldn't happen). What is the Make/Model of your laptop?

Lydokane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Cyberpowerpc computer...

I dont know what you mean by make or model, how would I find this?

·
Registered
528 Posts
When I visited the Cyberpowerpc website I could get information on a line of notebooks. The Explorer X64 line has a 9700, 9550, 9520, 9000, 8700, 8000, 7000 model. I'm assuming you have one of these models (The 9700 maybe?).

Lydokane

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is BIOS password protected? Did you install any programs on the external drives or are they only used for storage?
Yes, the BIOS asked for a password, but I pressed enter and was able to enter it just fine.

I do not know the model/make, but 9550 looks like my model.

·
Registered
528 Posts
After you entered BIOS were you able to find the boot sequence? Usually the boot sequence is:

1st Floppy
2nd Hard Drive
3rd CD/DVD

Your boot sequence might have your USB in it. Make a note of what your current sequence is then try setting it to the above sequence and see what happens.

Lydokane

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.