Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure if this is in the right section, but I am wondering where I could learn about all of the things that should be running on Windows XP properly, what shouldn't, how to detect malware and other things.

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
I am not sure if this is in the right section, but I am wondering where I could learn about all of the things that should be running on Windows XP properly, what shouldn't, how to detect malware and other things.
G'Day Ascendancy,

This is a very broad and open ended question.
Having said that, there will be a number of suggestions that will probably be offered to you by my collegues here.
Here are my "Rules of Thumb", to start you off on the 'Road to Discovery'...

1. Ensure that you have a reputable Anti-virus program running in the background at all times, and have it automatically update its definitions on a daily basis.

2. Install a well known Anti-spyware program as well, and ensure that it is also kept up-to-date.

3. Run the Anti-virus and spyware programs as a minimum three to four times a week. (Ideally schedule them to run on a daily basis to ensure that your machine is 'clean'.)

4. A good Firewall (should you decide that the default Windows® XP SP2 Firewall does not meet your needs.)

5. As far as "the things that should be running", to this I say please read my signature. :laugh:

Windows® XP is a very sophisticated program that has a number of essential programs 'running in the background', and altering some of them may be 'flirting with danger' should you decide to delete any of them, as they might cause instability of your system.
(If in doubt, refer to My Rule 5. :grin:)

There are a number of articles/and tips in the various forums here at TSF, and I suggest that you start by looking in the "General Security Forum" for the articles/tips on computer security.
In our Articles Forum, there are also a number of interesting articles/reviews regarding many different programs.
The Hardware Forum has a dedicated "Troubleshooting Tips & Tricks" section that might also be worth a good look.
In fact just about every Forum has tips and tricks articles that are well worth reading.
Now when it comes to which programs to use, this is a matter of personal choice, as there are literally hundreds available from various software manufacturers on the Internet.
Some are free for personal use, and others require either an Annual or Bi-annual 'subscription' or licence fee.
To give you an idea, my personal preferences (the ones that I use) are for the following:

Anti - Virus: AVG Internet Security Suite™.

Anti - Spyware: Ad-aware™ Personal; Webroot SpySweeper™.

Firewall: I use the one that is bundled with AVG™; however, there are others such as ZoneAlarm™ etc. that are very good indeed.

To satisfy your own curiosity I suggest that you get prepared to read all the relevent information in all the Forums here.

Hopefully I have given you an insight to answer your query.
Should you have any further questions/concerns, don't hesitate to post back and I and my collegues will be more than happy to assist.

Enjoy the reading!

:wave:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.