Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Windows XP Dell desktop is running slower and slower by the day. I expect it to be unusable any day now. All applications take forever to open, including Internet Explorer. I've run scans with Norton Internet Security and Adaware and found nothing besides cookies. I've disabled things from running at startup, and still no better. Task Manager indicates in excess of 45 processes running at any given time. Please help before I throw this computer out the window! Thank you :pray:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran CCleaner and deleted temp files. I did not run the registry cleaner because the forum recommends not to. I defrag'd the hard drive. I downloaded and ran Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware program. IT TOOK 12 HOURS TO COMPLETE! Is that normal?? It found two disabled security registry keys, which i believe is because I have Windows firewall disabled (I have Norton firewall) and a malware trace C:\\Windows\system32\mcrh.tmp. I going to try to attach the log file.

Still running slow as molasses.....

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My machine specs are: Windows XP Professional SP3, Pentium 4 CPU running at 3 GHz, 502 Mbytes of RAM (82 Mbytes available), 70-Gbyte hard drive (42 Gbytes available), Intel 82945G Express chipset. I have Norton Internet Security software, which includes Norton Antivirus. I often hear activity on the hard drive, even when I'm not working on anything. I have disabled the live-update features of most programs. I don't dare leave too many applications running for fear of freezing. Today, I received the following message: Windows Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Your problem is going to be RAM. Microsoft advise that XP requires 256 meg preferable 512 which is great if all you want to run is XP. I prefer to run a few other things like virus scanners and maybe a game or office. The high disk activity you are seeing on your machine will be disk access for virtual memory.

You will find a fresh build will run faster but as you install more and more the machine will get slower and slower.

I just updated a IBM desktop (Model 8183-KBM) Friday from 512 to 2 gig and the change was staggering. Matter of fact it was much like yours a pentium 4 running at 2.8 GHz. From a snail running one application at a time it now hardly blinks as I open windows left right and center.

Since its a desktop Ram is relatively cheap. Read your mother board manual for allowed ram configuration and look at upgrading to at least 1 gig and 2 if you can afford it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks CaptainMark! It certainly sounds logical, and I will see about installing additional RAM. I've never installed RAM before, but I can probably learn. I guess everything slows down with age, including me! :laugh:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Had a little play with the IBM again today and found that the change from 1 - 2 gig was not all that big an improvement but the move from 512 meg to 1 gig was out standing. So if you only upgrade to a gig you should see a dramatic improvement.

Up to you but remember to mark the thread solved if this fixes your issue for others to reference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It may take me a little while before I can install more memory, but I will report back on whether it helps or not. I noticed it is taking longer and longer for the computer to boot up and there is a lot of activity on the hard drive before I even select the user screen-name. Arggghh

If I uninstall Norton, what security/antivirus software do you recommend? Also, what does this mean: eset nod32, avg, or avira

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
The reference made to 'eset nod32, avg, or avira' is because they are all anti-malware packages, the latter two of which are free.

There are others.

Nod32 has been highly rated by a number of people I deal with and there are 'deals' on it around the Net.

You never said whether your comp has an add-on vid card, BUT the Intel chipset you mentioned is onboard and if that is all you have, it uses system Ram also and thus, even at a minimum, you are hard pressed to run XP with Norton.

You should identify the exact computer or motherboard you have and get some recommendations here to up your Ram to 2 Gb.

gl

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To All Who Helped: I ramped up my memory to 1.5 Gbytes and removed Norton, replacing it with AVG. WOW. I'm am cruising along at what seems to be warp speed, and the machine no longer sounds like an old-fashioned coffee percolator with all that activity on the hard drive. You guys are the BEST. Thank you :heartlove

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.