Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*NOTE TO MODS: I posted this same post at the motherboard/bios forum, I don't know if it is a hardware or a software issue, that's why I posted it here also. If you feel its excessive just delete this one and leave the other, or vice versa, it doesn't matter to me as long as you leave one. Thanks

Hi all, I recently built a new computer: Asus P4P800 deluxe board, P4 2.8 ghz cpu, 2 256mb of Kingston PC3200 ram, and a 80 gig WD harddrive. I installed Windows XP pro without any problems, and got servcie pack 1 installed w/o any problems either. However, soon after, my computer started to reboot every few hour or so. Most of the time i'm running IE, but it has crashed on AIM, quicktime, media player, winamp, just about anything and everything. I've tried running memtest86, and it checks out fine, so no ram problems. I've checked my temperature with Asus probe, running at about 32 degrees C, so no problems there either. I've tried unchecking the automatic restart box under My Computer's properties, only to get the blue screen of death. Afterwards, the box remains checked and i still get random restarts about once per hour or two if i'm using the computer, and if its idle about once every 8 hours or so. 2 other things i have noticed, the usb keyboard does not seem to work outside of windows, I had to use a PS/2 keyboard to start my installation of windows and to run memtest86. Also, my computer used to make a few beeps when it booted up at the Asus screen, but just today it stopped beeping. Sorry for the long post, but I'm just really sick and tired of these restarts and "windows has recovered from a serious error" messages. If anyone has any suggestions, please respond/PM/email me. Your help will be appreciated!

[email protected]

P.S. Not only is my system restarting a lot, but IE, word, AIM, all have had to close at one time or another due to some "error", especially explorer, it screws up just as often if not more than the restarts

·
Global Moderator
51,325 Posts
Did you look in the event log to see if an error has been logged?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
johnwill said:
Did you look in the event log to see if an error has been logged?
I did check it, and under applications there were a ton of True Vector Engine errors, so I uninstalled Zone Alarm, yet that did nothing for me. The computer still restarted about an hour later. Under system errors there were also many warnings and errors, but it wasn't specific enough that I could pin point what program was causing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.