Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the following problem with Windows XP:

We use a DOS program that reads the motion of a stabilized platform used for Satellite Communications. The program run with out problems under XP but normally we use the following method to print out the results of our testing.

Press “Print Screen” then paste into the program Paint. The print screen button should just take an image of what is currently on the screen and save it on my clipboard. My problem is that in Windows XP the Paint program does not see anything too past in the clipboard.

Any ideas?

Martin

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
are you saying that it doesn't copy the screen shot to the clipboard, or that Paint won't accept the paste command?

If I were you I would try to paste the picture into MS word if possible and then attempt to print it from that.

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Use a real graphics program, that problem will be history. Personally, I use Paint Shop Pro for this kind of task.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Does PaintShop Pro give you the ability to take screen shots of other programs?

The issue isn't is he using the best software or not. The issue is that his "print screen" button doesn't seem to be working.

It could be a mechanical problem - have you tried using a different keyboard - maybe the key on the keyboard is having an issue?

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
Actually, I think we both may be reading the first message wrong. After re-reading it, it appears that it's a text mode application, and he wants the stuff that's already scrolled off the screen to be printed. :)

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmm

seems to work for me, i go to a dos window and run a dos text editor and press "print screen" and then open a paint and paste it in and it shows up just fine. i am using windows 98 though, and xp is alot more buggy. you might try holding alt while you press the print screen button, this is supposed to only copy what is in the current active window. or some crap like that....

~BoB~

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no problem coping from any of the older MS Windows Operating Systems to any program that accepts the image. Windows XP does not appear to support the print screen KEY when running a full screen dos session. If you check in the clipboard after pressing print screen in a Full Screen dos session there will not be any information to paste. My test program only runs in full screen dos mode and it will be at lest half a year before I can get an update version of it.

I have found the following work around; by using a program that record a screen session over time. I start the record before the dos screen session and end after the dos screen session. I then review the recorded session a take a single image for our company records and to send to the customer

I would like to find a program that will run in the background and not depend on the print screen key to take single image screen shot, that I can later edit.

Print Screen Example after editing:

Attachments

·
Citizen of the world
51,042 Posts
I just fired up a full screen DOS session on XP-Pro, did a DIR and whacked the PrtScr key. The clipboard contained the displayed results of the DIR command in text mode. I see you're running in graphics mode, which greatly complicates the issue.

I think you may be able to load a DOS TSR screen capture program in your MS-DOS session and capture it that way. It's been so long since I've tried to do DOS graphics that I'm a bit rusty. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.