Discussion Starter #1
System Specs:
AMD 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GhZ Dual Core CPU
Giga-Byte Motherboard GA-M61SME-S2 Socket AM2
2x 512MB Kingston Value Ram total of 1GB
Giga-Byte GeForce 7200GS 256MB PCI-E Video Card
Western Digital SATA 80GB HD
Rosewill 500w Power Supply

Here's my problem. I recently built this system from the ground up to make a mild gaming rig. Nothing spectacular, just wanted a semi-budget build. For under 300 bucks, I figure I did ok.

Upon POST into Bios, no problems at all. Everything seems normal. Setup the bios to recognise a SATA drive, and proceded to install Windows.

My copy of Windows is Windows XP Sp1. Its a retail version, not bundled with any OEM junk. I installed windows, using my SATA driver floppy, etc etc. Formatted the hard drive, and installed.

Here is where I notice some bizarre actions. Upon completing installation, I attempt to do some normal tasks. Running MSCONFIG (through start>run>msconfig) wont do anything. Also when I click on Help & Support in the start menu, it says that process is not installed/running. Also, when I managed to get into System in Control Panel (after several restarts, at first nothing happened when i double click System) it was NOT reading my CPU under Computer: where it normally says the CPU/Memory. The memory was there, and was correct, but CPU was blank.

I have installed the latest motherboard/lan/chipset drivers that came with my mobo. Also installed the graphics drivers that came with the GeForce PCIE. Nothing made it better.

Tonight I am going to attempt a Slipstream install of SP2 using my SP1 disk and the patch. I know how to make a bootable slipstreamed sp2 cd, so thats no problem, so with a little luck I will have no problems tonight and be currently running SP2.

What I am getting at is this. Does it sound like I had a corrupted WinXP installation? Could it be something to do with the Dual Core AMD on an older SP1 installation? So frustrating, I hate to resort to calling Microsoft, but I may end up doing that if it comes to that. Anyone else have this issue before? Any insight you can provide would be great, and I apologise for the lengthy message but I just did not want to leave out any details.

thanks for your time,
-Jesse

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Did you disable raid in bios? Set the sata drive to work as a ide drive?
Does the cpu show up in bios? Does your mobo support the cpu?
Check bios revision/version, you may have to flash bios to support
cpu. Dont do this unless you are sure. Just a few thoughts...good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I disabled raid in bios. Sata is working as it's supposed to, i havnt set it as an IDE drive.
CPU/Memory/HD all shows in bios, and yes my mobo supports the CPU.

Here's the real kicker: I re-formatted last night using my origional Windows Sp1 CD (couldnt get it to recognise my new slipstream cd) and it worked. This was my third try, I didnt do ANYTHING differently. I am guessing maybe my hard drive needed a few bad installs to finally get one right? Third time's a charm? I have no clue. But I managed to get a fully functioning Windows XP SP1 install last night. Fully updated drivers for Mobo/Graphics/Sound/Lan etc. Ran windows update too. I have a pretty stable system now, everything is as it should be. Working on the tweaks now, making boot times faster, etc. I can't explain it. My last question is should I upgrade to SP2? I am deathly afraid by upgrading to SP2 I will have some issues. SP1 is running fine. Any thoughts?

-Jesse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn gremlins. All I can come up with. I didnt change any hardware, all I did was format/install windows and on the 3rd time it worked fine. Who knows... microshaft, er, soft products never cease to amaze me...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.