Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is a first post on this site so please go easy on me...

I work for a company called Nowirz in central Vermont and I have hit a new problem. Someone came to me with a Dell Dimension 4550 saying it was deathly slow (i agree) and "had serious issues"

They were right, and my best description is this: Opening the start menu I see a pure black rectangle the size of the normal start menu, except I can see the little icons corresponding to say; network connections, run, shutdown, log off, etc etc.

If I hit Ctrl Alt Del I get a black box, period.

This PC has a P4 at 2.8Ghz and 512M RAM, so I voted out of a memory issue, though I can't see what is being used. A 60G HDD seems low to me, and one of the desktop icons is for a Creative MP3/Video player, so maybe the hard drive is overloaded???

That is my current status: Confused and you know what I know- please ask if I can supply any other info!! Thanks in advance everyone!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UPDATE:

In safe mode I can operate fine, in VGA mode not so much (aka same as normal), and a new video card doesn't help.

Seems to be OS, but then in safe mode I found kazaa media desktop V2.1.1 (anyone familiar with this??) as well as a "generic color icon driver" ???

Still no answer besides OS reinstall - any objections!?

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
UPDATE:

In safe mode I can operate fine, in VGA mode not so much (aka same as normal), and a new video card doesn't help.

Seems to be OS, but then in safe mode I found kazaa media desktop V2.1.1 (anyone familiar with this??) as well as a "generic color icon driver" ???

Still no answer besides OS reinstall - any objections!?
kazaa is a peer to peer music and file sharing program full of spyware and virus's. The system is infected with God knows what. It would take a lot of time to clean it up. You will probably have repeated business with this customer. I would lowlevel format and reinstall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.