Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been a very bad week for me. Heh.

Last week I moved into another room in my house, and didn't realize that there was an improper grounding wire on 2 of the outlets that I was using. This messed up my computer pretty badly, and I tried to salvage it.

I bought a new PCI USB card, and a new sound card because both of those pieces were integrated on the motherboard and stopped working. I also replaced the surge protector.

Within a day or two of using the faulty outlets, the computer started randomly freezing. As in, if I was playing music while looking at some websites it would completely freeze - the mouse and keyboard stopped working, but the computer was still running. If any sound was playing when it froze, it would repeat the last second of the song over and over until I shut the computer down. I am guessing it was the improper grounding wire, but if anyone knows of similar symptoms from something else, let me know.

I cleaned the entire inside of the computer system (properly, with the grounding bracelet, etc), because the CPU fan was running a little bit loud and I figured it may have been overheating a bit. The computer still froze later on that day using an outlet that had been tested and was working correctly.

So fastforward a couple days, and it froze again on me when I was trying to backup any data that I could in preparation of buying another computer. This time, the keyboard got blown. It is a PS/2 keyboard which came with the computer. I was using a surge protector, and the outlet was working correctly - which leads me to believe something got messed up on the motherboard from the improper grounding wire (maybe how power is distributed throughout the system, who knows).

The thing is: I have a login password (I am using XP Home), and I disabled the Guest account. I don't have another PS/2 keyboard around and I can't borrow one until Monday. The USB keyboard on this computer does not work on that other computer. I start up the computer, and it loads correctly until the login screen - where I am stranded with no way of getting into the computer, since my keyboard will not work. I am hoping a replacement PS/2 keyboard will do the trick, at least long enough for me to login and disable the login prompt, so I can begin backing up the rest of my data.

Is there any way to salvage this computer, or bypass the login screen with no keyboard support at all? Again this is XP Home. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well, if you want to just save your files, you can go ahead ad buy a new computer and slave the drive to it. Basically put the drive on the old PC as a slave with the slave jumper setting. Then attach it to the second IDE cable inside the new PC. Then you should be able to drag and drop over your pictures, home videos, files, etc.

As far as the computer, I don't know if it can be saved or not, depending on what happened to the motherboard. You could always buy a new mobo, but that may cost more than a new PC.

BMR777

·
Registered
46 Posts
As BMR777 says, just stick the HDD in the new PC. Or even better, tell the place your buying it from to do it for you.

Regarding USB keyboard. Most PCs will load a USB keyboard or mouse driver at the Login screen, you just have to be patient and eventually it starts working, look for HDD activity to see if it is installing a driver.

The Hooligan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I bought another computer tonight. I (thought) I was using a non-faulty outlet, but after about 10 minutes of using it, it randomly restarted. This is definitely a power issue, right? I am not turning it back on and risking anything until I have an electrician come out sometime next week to check everything out for me.

Thanks for the responses.

edit- I have another question too.. Under documents and settings I have my personal folder, which held all of my music files and other data. Right now it's giving me an "Access Denied" error when I try to get into that folder. Any ideas on getting around that? I remember making the contents only viewable by myself, when I had the hdd in the other computer..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.