Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm a frequent visitor to the forums but never registered so thanks in advance!

I have a friend who's operating a Dell 600m Inspiron Laptop and has been having several issues with memory dumping (bsod), iexplorer.exe and Windows explorer crashing minutes into using them. Usually when I would see a memory dumping message on my machine it would be when I was running some sort of 3D application (game). She's running only Excel/Word and stepping out of the office for a moment to come back to a blue screen with a memory dump error. She said it has been happening quite frequently in the past 2-3 weeks. She asked me to help her because I'm a big giant nerd and I'm coming to you guys/gals for advice. She's operating on Windows XP. All her specs look fine, I've checked into her drivers and such and haven't made any significant changes to her system. I didn't want to do anything like that until I consulted with someone who knows a bit more about these error messages then myself.

One of the error messages I was getting quite frequently (only took a look at the computer for 30 minutes before I came back home to post here) read like this:

Instruction "0x03d6dda0" Memory Not Read

Certain parts were omitted but that's the jest of it. I'd appreciate any help you could give me and I have the laptop currently at my house so if you need more spec info it would be easy to get a hold of.

Cheers,
John.

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
Goto c:\windows\minidump and gather all of the dumps.

Also run msinfo32 -
START | Run | type msinfo32 and hit enter. Save as an NFO file - you will see the default file extension when you go to save it.

Zip all up and attach to your next post and I'll take a look.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Having trouble saving the msinfo32 file, it won't complete the save and freezes up. I was looking up more info on the system itself, and I think all the drivers are up to date for the machine but I also think maybe the physical memory might be defective or something. I've been running the computer for a day now and have had no bsod's. So it might have been something that doesn't need to have much attention paid to it or maybe it's still a problem that will reoccur. Can you tell me other issues or symptoms that kind of relate to what I'm talking about here?

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,376 Posts
You should run memtest86+ if you have not already - click on the link in my sig area.

I am on the software side of the fence primarily, but did note that you mentioned in your initial post that the hardware was fine. I know that some that may be looking through would want system specs, including PSU manufacturer, wattage, mobo, etc...

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.