Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having Problems with my Bridge connection in Windows XP. There is a picture attached that shows my network setup.

All the PC's and laptops can see each other and all of them can access both routers. However, PC 3 and 4 cannot access the internet! I am in need of help. Please ask if you need anymore information to help diagnose this problem. Thanks:tongue:

Attachments

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
A stupid question. Why not use an access point and connect all the machines through the one router? Or, you could run a cable and have a direct connection there.

From the diagram, I can't tell how the secondary router is configured, or what ports you have connected the machines to. This does look a bit like a kludge.

Are you running ICS on Computer 2? If so, what's the role of the router?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well thanks for being so mean
the reason im using it like this is because i have a spare router that cost quite a bit, so may as well put it to use
router 2 is set up as a gateway (linksys wrt54gs).
I also didnt want to spend money to buy another wireless network card.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Mean? I'm just telling you my opinion, you're free to reject it if you like.

You still didn't answer the question about ICS.

·
Registered
53 Posts
kludge

In information technology, a kludge (pronounced KLOOdzh) is an awkward or clumsy (but at least temporarily effective) solution to a programming or hardware design or implementation problem. According to Eric Raymond, the term is indirectly derived from the German klug meaning clever. Raymond considers "kludge" an incorrect spelling of kluge, a term of the 1940s with the same general meaning and possibly inspired by the Kluge paper feeder, a "fiendishly complex assortment of cams, belts, and linkages...devilishly difficult to repair...but oh, so clever!"

I had never heard of this word, so i looked it up!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha ya
I hvae ICS disabled on all computers

also this is a stupid setup, i tried to use my WRT54GS as a bridge, but it just didnt work (or an access point, cant remember)

i tried following instructions
but it just wouldnt work, i need help! :(

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
I don't understand the drawing at all, unless it's drawn wrong. You have a wireless link going to Computer 2, and the secondary router connected wired to the three computers. Without ICS running on Computer 2, I don't see this rig working.

AFAIK, your WRT54GS doesn't operate in bridge mode without some help. Here's a post on a 3rd party software load to make it into a bridge. http://forums.anandtech.com/message...Keyword=&STARTPAGE=1&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linea

Here's another article that appears to use the same software, maybe a bit clearer: http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/24/how-to-connect-your-linksys-wrt54g-network-to-the-internet/

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I was following an article on the microsoft website telling me to disable ICS and ICF and to use the Windows XP bridge mode between the wireless and LAN. The weird thing is, that I was able to access the internet when I tried bridging on a different computer (but I dont want to use that computer).

I tried to use my WRT54GS as a bridge long ago, infact, from that exact same website, but it didn't work for some reason.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Personally, I'd run a wire, but then I've never been a big fan of Wireless unless it's necessary. Wired connections are faster, more reliable, more secure, and easier to configure. The "only" thing that makes the wireless connection attractive is portability and/or the difficulty of running a wire to the remote location.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya personally i would like to run a wire as well, but i do have issues with connecting a wire into my room. however, may i should just get a linksys wireless access point.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Im saying this because my Linksys WRT54GS may not support third party software. As you may or may not know, the new linksys routers are designed with less RAM thus not allowing third party software to be loaded on it. So, with a dedicated wireless access point specifically designed for being that, it will work for sure. I believe that the version of my router may be very new so ya.

·
Citizen of the world
51,139 Posts
Unless you're loading 3rd party software on the router, I fail to see how this is even in consideration. It's a router, and I'm not recommending any 3rd party software.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I did load 3rd party software. And since it basically runs off of the Linksys WRT54G firmware and hardware, there was a possibility of it to work. However, my version is probably too new for the new software. And I don't really care, its a spare router that has no use, and the warranty is expired. So it really doesnt matter.

However, I wish I could hardwire my room, but, I have other issues concerning that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.