Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running a three year old desktop computer. An EMachines, with Windows XP SP1 factory install, with the latest Windows updates installed (SP3).

My sister used the computer and was torrenting games. She downloaded a virus, and so I set down to get rid of it. After three hours, I still couldn't get rid of it, and I'm not new to computers at all; I'm quite experienced with them.

So, I decided to just pop in the XP CD and give myself a fresh install. The OS install went through fine, I did a total wipe and reinstall (All data gone), and I took the CD out and restarted the computer. Unhooked all of my extras (USB devices, wireless router, internet modem, etc) and I let the computer load up.

It got to the black Windows XP screen, and the loading bar went across a few times, and then the screen went totally black and the computer restarted. I thought it was a fluke; it kept going.

After 9 restarts I decided to give up. I popped the XP CD back in and decided to try a recovery install.

Long story short: No help.
Tried another total wipe/reinstall: No help.

Now, the desktop is sitting in a corner with all of it's fixings piled on top. I went out and rented a laptop computer from the local Rent-A-Center, as I'm a student in college and I need a computer for class.

However, the laptop payment isn't sitting right with me. It isn't much, but, I don't want the laptop. Odd, I know, turning down a laptop for a desktop for college; I prefer the desktop.

What can I do to fix this computer? Reinstalling XP over and over won't do anything, I've tried it three times with no luck. I've thought of taking it to the computer repair shop down the road from my house, but their diagnostic fee is $50.00 Fifty bucks just to figure out what's wrong is much too expensive for me, and I refuse to pay it.

I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Cheers,
Steve

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
What did you wipe the drive with? If it was the xp format tool that is
no good.
Use killdisk, do a google free download. After running that, then format
and install xp.....Xp format will leave virus's intact on the machine.
Ive seen it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.