Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Ubuntu on the same hard drive as my Windows 7 (different partition ofcourse)

Now, even with windows boot manager, when I choose 'start windows' it writes 'windows is loading files' then reboots.

Can't use recovery options "repair your computer" off my windows cd since it keeps telling me I don't have the matching windows version (perhaps since ubuntu made some changes ro the MBR?).

Solutions I've tried:
1. Fixing MBR with a 'utility' boot-cd like hiren's. All it did was mess up ubuntu aswell so I had to reinstall ubuntu just to be able to boot.

2. Tried using boot-repair utility in Ubuntu - didn't work, same problem.

3. Tried burning rescue disc off an existing windows 7 computer. Same error - 'no matching windows found'

How can I reach window's rescue enviourment if it won't let me boot into it? I would try to use bootrec.exe but I can't get to it.

Please help? I really don't want to re-install windows 7 and lose all I have on that partition.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
First off, if you can boot into Ubuntu you can browse the Windows partition and copy your files to a USB HDD for backup, so you won't loose anything if you have to reinstall.
Then use EasyBCD boot manager to manage your OS's boot loader.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I already have programs installed there so would save me the hassle of re-installing everything. I would like to rescue my existing windows installation.

As for easybcd, I don't see any linux version. And since I can't boot into windows, how can I run it?

Would easybcd fix the problem where windows tries to load but fails? (I can reach the 'start windows 7' from the bootmanager menu but it still wont load)

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
Yes I already have programs installed there so would save me the hassle of re-installing everything
So, first thing to do, is to backup your files on your Windows partition to a USB HDD, whether you can repair your Windows OS or not, you want to have all your files backed up before trying anything else.
Then you need to repair the Windows Boot, and forget about Ubuntu for this second. Then install Ubuntu, Then EasyBCD: https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/dual-boot/linux/ubuntu/
To repair the Windows boot:

At command prompt (x: sources) type this exactly as written:
bcdedit |find “osdevice” (Must inc and the |), the | before Find is the Upper case \ key) press enter. This will tell you what drive letter the OS is on.It may not be on the C: drive.

At the X:\Sources prompt, type: bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup and press enter, next:

Type:- c: and press enter

At the C:\ prompt, type: cd boot and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: attrib bcd -s -h -r and press enter
At the C:\Boot prompt, type: ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old and press enter

At the C:\Boot prompt, type: bootrec /rebuildbcd and press enter

The Boot Configuration File will be rebuilt at this point. Once it finishes, type exit and press enter. Click the Restart button

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a little question though. if I cant boot into windows, how can I get access to the command prompt and bcdedit?

Right now I can only boot into ubuntu, since windows rescue enviourment wouldn't let me choose 'repair your computer' since it cant recognize the installation.

Where is bcedit located and how to I manage to boot into a situation where I can access it?

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
Boot off of the Windows DVD. Choose Repair Your Computer. When this fails it will take you to the RE (Recovery Environment) choose Command Prompt and proceed.
You can also get to the Command Prompt from the boot CD you used in your first solution where you tried to repair the MBR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have explained it wrong then:

Choosing 'repair your computer' gives me an error message right away, it doesn't give me any options after the error message. I don't have a way to choose 'command prompt' it just stays stuck between 'repair your computer' and 'install now' options.

perhaps theres a workaround that lets me force command prompt?

As for the other bootcd, I believe its a linux based one? 'hiren's bootcd'. I don't think it has access and ability to run bcdedit? or perhaps I'm wrong.

It doesnt let me past this screen:

i.imgur.com/ARo56Aq.jpg

·
Registered
372 Posts
i would try reinstalling the grub of the ubuntu and reconfiguring it
get into bios setup and see f it is booting legacy or make it boot legacy
did you make partition with fdisk or any other linux utility ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did try to reinstall GRUB. I used a program called boot-repair for ubuntu that does that.

The error I'm getting from the windows recovery enviourment is:
"This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows"

When setting bios to legacy only (and not uefi) I get the following error when trying to boot:

"Multiple active partitions. Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

As for how I installed ubuntu:
1. I had windows 7 already installed.
2. Used windows shrink partition to free up space for ubuntu
3. rebooted into ubuntu from CD.
4. Used ubuntu installation disk tools 'something else' option. to create new partiion for ubuntu from unallocated space.
5. Installation was done and then windows stopped booting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I suspect Ubuntu installation created a second active partition (?).

Boot to Ubuntu (or any Linux Live CD) and examine disk.
There should be only one partition with "boot flag"=active in Windows terminology.

Examine files on partitions with boot flag - every partition is mountable in Linux.

Delete active partition which does not hold Windows boot files (bootmgr, \boot\BCD)

Reboot using Windows installation/recovery CD and try:
1) SHIFT+F10 - brings up command prompt.
2) bootsect /nt60 all /mbr
3) bcdboot c:\windows - (c: or drive letter where Windows is installed)

This should repair Windows booting.

Note:
See Repair Windows BCD for explanations on boot files on BIOS and UEFI.
Newer computers have UEFI firmware and it is possible to boot USB/CD/DVD media the UEFI way or BIOS/CSM/legacy way!
Boot removable media the UEFI way if hard disk is in GPT style,
boot BIOS way if hard disk is in MBR style!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok good news is that I'm able to reach bcdedit and command prompt with shift F10
bad news is that bcdedit doesnt seem to recognize my SSD drive (made sure to enable only that on sata port 0)

any way to reveal it? I tried the bcdedit |find but that didnt do anything

·
Registered
12 Posts
you can use diskpart to list disks and partitions.

diskpart
list disk
sel disk 0
list part

copy output and post on forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.