Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so ill try and put this in as much detail as i can but here is what ive had trouble with all night.
My brother brought a laptop in for me to look at,
A Toshiba Satellite L500D
Part Number: PSLT6A-006003
HDD Model: Fujitsu MJA2500BH
I could see straight away this wasn't going to be easy. Firstly, the loadup was fine until i got passed the options of bios, then nothing except a little cursor in the top left corner blinking like it was about to load something, nothing happens.
So i went and had a look at similar problems, they mentioned about pulling the battery out and powering it to see what happens, still nothing.
Then i went into bios to see if there were any issues, also checking the boot order was right, i reset them to default settings and saved it.
Once it had reset from that, it came up with a new error which said PXE-361: Media test failed.
Then i tried using a Usb Multiboot with Yumi installed on it, i decided to use Kaspersky because i have used that one before and i knew it would work, but still no success, the computer froze on the Toshiba load up screen, but when i unplugged the usb it would work till the next screen with the little blinking line in the top left corner, then do nothing. I have also tried restoring the comp to factory settings, by holding the 0 button and pressing the power button once, but all that comes up is HDD RECOVERY in the bottom left corner with no selections.
So, it doesn't let me boot from usb,
it won't let me do any recovery
and it won't go into safe mode
im out of options, i was wondering if there was something else i could do to fix this poor computer, before just replacing something. would appreciate some help :)

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,745 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forums if you have a copy of the windows seven OS DVD change the bios order to boot cd rom first and boot with this in. Use the repair your computer option and run startup repair , if this fails then open a cmd prompt try a chkdsk c:/r at the x sources prompt.

The symptoms you describe indicate a failed HDD, may need to replace this, and reinstall, is there data on the hdd that you want to keep? The pxe media error indicates trying to boot from the network card.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply :)
I do not currently have the OS Disk for this Laptop, plus i don't think anything will boot from this computer, including DVD, CD etc.
I will pass this information on to him.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The pxe error is the network boot option, you can change that in bios, it sounds like the drive might be failing and you should run a test on it with the manufactorers software like seatools. Have you tried to boot from a disk or flash drive? What happened when you did?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.