Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my neighbor's hard drive with me. In his computer, it would boot, it would say hard drive failure, and then ask if you wanted to continue. If you continued, it went to the XP loading screen for a very long time, it then said please wait, and then a blue welcome screen showed up saying Windows is ready to use, press the green button to start.

If you press that, it hangs forever. My neighbor said this happened after he tried system restore. So I took this hard drive to my computer to check it out, all of his files are still there and openable. What should I do now?

If I do a repair install Windows will detect new hardware (my computer) and windows will deactivate. Also, it will install the drivers for my computer. I could just backup all of his stuff and reinstall windows on his computer, but I want to save that as a last resort. I think he really needs a new hard drive. What do you guys think? On my computer the BIOS isn't throwing any hard drive errors, and his computer is 7 years old....

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello mngo7,

how full is the drive ?

if it is overly full then windows will cause the drive to freeze for it needs a certainamount of space to work properly

as in 40gig filled to leave 5 gigs remaining free will freeze badly

i am not certain the point of no return

let me know

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions...
His hard drive has 80GB left

The Hard drive was fine, so I guess his BIOS was throwing false negatives. I did a repair install on my computer and I could boot into his drive and everything was A-Ok. Then, I took it back to his house, put it back in, and when I booted, I got a black screen with a cursor. I tried another repair install and the XP disk saw the windows partition but didn't give me the repair option. I told him I would need his original XP disk but at this point I think I am looking at a backup and restore? He said he would like to keep his programs so I am trying to find another solution, any more help?

·
Registered
3,332 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hello mngo7

follow this link & read it / i know this is what you are looking for

http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=189400897

Mike
Unfortunately, at the screen with existing windows installations, it does not give me a repair option. It says press c, press d to delete installation, etc. I think I need the specific disk that comes with his computer, but I am not sure. I just know that a repair install with my disk is not working.

·
Premium Member
78,003 Posts
the repair has to be done on his computer unless yours has the exact same m/board
put it back in his computer and from the recovery console run
fixboot

·
Banned
46 Posts
If convenient and/or necessary, and you can get it to boot to your computer (after a Repair Install), run the Files & Settings Transfer Wizard to keep his data in case a New Install becomes necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.