Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When starting Vista up each time It is so slow to start takes forever ... and I don`t know how to stop all the programs starting up when I start it to make it go faster .. also another problem is I received this computer from a dear friend of mine but I cannot change the user name from hers to mine ,,, is there a way to do it as she is the admin and also the owner of all the files I do .. and thirdly I need to find a way that the avast is recognised , the computer still says no anti virus is installed when I have a paid avast one on here.. hoping this is not too big a task to ask on one post or too many questions at once.. thanks for any advice you can give me .. :smile:

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,558 Posts
You can change which programs start and which ones don't by going to the start menu and typing MSCONFIG then hitting enter.

Then a menu will appear and click the startup tab. You can now tick or untick programs that will start when the PC starts. Be careful not to untick any drivers.

As for changing your PC name:

1. To open User Accounts, click the Start button
    , click Control Panel, click User Accounts and Family Safety, click User Accounts, and then click Change your account name.
    If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  2. Type the new name, and then click Change Name.
Finally, to get Windows Vista to see the AV I would recommend you just reinstall it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Masterchief..
I`ll tackle these in the morning was just off to bed and thought will check here first.. and thanks for answering so fast.. I`ll let you know how I go with these.. computer is going ok just slow to start so no other problems at the moment .. message again soon goodnight! and have a great day over there.. :smile:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Go the power..
Yes in a way it is slow to start .. and some web pages slow to load.. I can`t get rid of the other user name though... seems I don`t have permission to access it ! I did manage to fix the avast anti virus.. and its going ok now and all shields on .. Is there any other tests I can do to do a check and see if there is any thing stopping the computer from working.. I still have all these files of the previous owner on it and they can`t be taken off either.. and she never knew how to do it.. she did take off what she needed and said I can delete all the rest but I don`t know how ..maybe it has some bugs or something still but avast scans are good and malaware finds nothing.. ? any help appreciated .. I`ll read up that thread you quoted there to see how it goes ..

·
Windows Tech Team, Networking Team
2,259 Posts
I would create a user for yourself, User Accounts > Add user. If you are logged in as the previous owner, you won't be able to remove the account.

After creating a new user, you should be able to remove the previous owners user account, then open Windows Explorer then to C:\ users > Previous Owners name > highlight account, then delete.

As for your system being slow, Vista was never a "Speed Demon" post the specs / Make, and Model of your computer, do this Right Click on My Computer > Properties this should give a listing of your system specs, most notably the amount of RAM

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alpenadiver,
Thanks for reply and here is the specs of this computer..
Windows Vista Home Premium.. 2007 service pack 2 ..
Manufacture ..Toshiba..Satellite L300.
Model .. Notebook.
Processor.. Intel (R) Pentium (R) Dual CPU T2370 @1.73GHz !.73GHz
Memory.. (Ram) 2.00GB
System Type.. 32 Bit operating system..

I have heard they are kinda slow.. is it any good updating to Windows 7 ?

Thanks for any answers..

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,558 Posts
1. Download Temporary File Cleaner from here.

2. Make sure that you Save As... the file to your desktop.

3. Make sure to close out all opened programs!

• TFC will close all open program's to run, be sure to save any work!
4. Double Click on the TFC.exe file that is saved to your desktop.

5. Windows will ask to either Run or Cancel the program. Click on Run.

6. Once TFC has opened, click the Start button.

7. Allow TFC to run uninterrupted.

8. Your desktop icons and other programs may disappear during this process. That is normal.

9. After TFC has finished it should automatically reboot the PC.

10. If it does not reboot, reboot manually.

11. It is normal that after running TFC that the PC will be slower to boot for the first time.

12. Please report the RED number that is shown at the end of the test.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.