Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
XP home SP1. When using the MS windows update site MS having scanned the computer and told me that I have 26 critical updates and SP to download and I have selected the review and install button the right pane displays, first "Action canceled" then "Page cannot be displayed". I have put a fresh build on the unit, I have read all the MS help info I can find. Any ideas?
:confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Refresh the page again, probably a normal browser problem. The MS update page has a lot of extra garbage on it and will show the "page cannot be displayed" error if it screws up at any point.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have tried all the usual things but all without success. The XP build is from an Advent 3310 rebuild disk (ghost). I belive that a registry entry is causing the problem but I cant figure out which one.
SuperCub

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Advent supply their build disk, software on three ghost CDs which make an auto build. When a rebuild is called for you have no control untill the ghost build is finished. I am sure that if I used an ordinary MS XP disk there would be no problem but of course all of the drivers and the software would not be available. It's not unusual for pc manufacturers to give a build in this way. It goes without saying that all this software is licenced. As I have no control over the build in the normal way I belive the problem lies within this enforced set-up. It was allmost certainly caused by the manufacturer making a one size fits all build disk. I have updated the original build to IE6 sp1 and XP sp1a but the problem remains.

S

·
0 Posts
It sounds to me like MS doesn't like your OS.

If you had another OS on there before you should probably try writing zeros to the drive and then do the XP installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.