Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Windows Update: "problem on your computer is preventing updates from being installed"

When trying to use Windows Update, the updates download successfully but fail to install. The following message appears: "Problem: A problem on your computer is preventing updates from being downloaded or installed." I have turned my antivirus software off, I have tried updating manually, I have tried updating one at a time. Nothing seems to work. I now have a backlog of 13 updates that I'm supposed to install. Can anyone please help? THANKS!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: Windows Update: "problem on your computer is preventing updates from being instal

I have the same problem on a W2k SP4 machine. No other error messages, but no updates will install. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts
Re: Windows Update: "problem on your computer is preventing updates from being instal

have you tried getting updates from Safe Mode?

·
Registered
25 Posts

I can't get into Windows Update in safe mode. I use a USB wireless adapter for the internet and it won't work in safe mode. Also, I didn't think WU worked in safe mode anyway.

Any other ideas?

·
Mentally divergent
1,341 Posts

My guess is you got a virus.. might want to re-post in Security section and see if they can help you

·
Registered
25 Posts

I gave up on it and reloaded Windows 2000. Now it works fine.

Thanks for the help anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I'm only replying to this because I had the same problem, followed every suggestion on forums and still failed every single time. I worked on it for like 12-14 hours. Then I solved the problem almost accidentally.

I wanted to change the PC name and workgroup in order to continue using it normally even without the updates. When I attempted to do this, Windows told me that I needed to install networking to do so. This came as a surprise to me because I had been able to get on the Internet right from the re-installation of the OS.

When I went to the networking settings, I saw that I only had TCP/IP installed and not Client for Microsoft Networks nor File and Printer Sharing. Once I installed these, the Windows Update icon showed up on the lower right corner and everything was fixed. Simplest solution ever :pray:

·
TSF Emeritus
15,079 Posts

Thanks for posting the solutions. As this thread is pretty old I am going to close it.

Kind regards,
go the power

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.