Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the printer is an hp laserjet 5si.

I am getting an error message saying Windows was unable to get a list of devices from windows update. Please try again later.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I just encountered this situation recently on a new Windows 7 64-bit PC. Unfortunately, what I've found on the web does not address the problem at hand. There are loads of suggestions on alternatives to using Windows Update to install the printer driver. I've been doing this for fifteen years and I'm well aware of all those alternatives. But, installing the driver is not the primary issue. The main issue is that the printer wizard has been corrupted some how and needs to be repaired. Microsoft's Fix-It tool to repair Windows Update has not helped. Even though it reports that it has found and repaired a problem every single time I ran it.

I believe the corruption occured while the printer wizard was in the middle of retrieving the list of printer drivers when I absent-mindedly rebooted the system to complete a program uninstall. (More evidence that multi-tasking is over rated!) Short of wiping out the brand new system and reinstalling, there must be a way to repair the printer wizard -- or whatever actually did get corrupted.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,752 Posts
Hi, most likely caused by a failed install (not the wizard) you need to do a bit of detective work, lets try the easy fix first:-

1. Go to start, run and type regedit.

2. Navigate in the registry editor to
HKLM\software\microsoft\windows\current version\installer\inprogress.

3. Click on the inprogress key and note the name of the file listed on the
right side for databasepath (should be have a .msi extension).

4. Rename inprogress to oldinprogress.

5. Close the registry editor.

6. Open My Computer.

7. Navigate to C:\Windows\Installer (Installer folder is hidden by
default, folder Views check "show hidden files and folders" also uncheck "hide protected system files", don't forget to undo this when finished)) and rename the file noted in step 3.

8. Reboot the computer and try the install again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.