Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my daughters recently re-built my desktop (cpu,mobo, video card, psu). He installed Windows XP Pro but not from my original CD. Whan I try to do a Windows update it does not recognize this version as legitimate so I can not install the updates.

I purchased a legitimate copy of XP when I originally purchased the computer. Is there a way to enter the XP key that came with the original version so that I can install updates? Or do I need to re-install from the original recovery CD, and if so will I lose programs/data?

Thanks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting question...If you have a legitimate Windows XP Pro CD, I would try installing it and see if it asks for your number. If that does not work, I really think your best bet is format and clean install of Windows. That one will work and no chance of any conflicts. That will also require that you have backups of any data/files that you need afterward.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Did you pay the friend of your daughters for his service?
If so ask him to reinstall your copy of Windows like (alwrmc) stated.

You will have problems downloading any updates from the Windows update
site with an install that is not licensed to you.
If you tried to activate Windows and it would not allow this than you
have 30 days from the install time to resolve this before your are permantely locked out and have to reinstall Windows again.

Worked4me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.