Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm having trouble with windows update on my Vista PC and need some help to get it fixed. If I check for updates, it will find the relevant updates OK but it fails with error 80246008 when it try's to download them.
I have done some research and found that it is throwing this error because my BITS service will not start, now further investigation leads me on to one of it's dependancies that wont start - COM+ Event system. I'm sure it is this COM+ service that is causing my problems. If I try to start it manually it throws up this error: "Windows could not start the COM+ Event system service on local computer. Error 0xc0000096".

I have searched for references to this error but haven't found much yet that relates to my problem.

I hope one of you gurus on here can help me troubleshoot this issue.

Vista Home Premium 32bit SP2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, thanks usasma, I will study up on suninacl and give it a shot. Is there any other tools out there that can reset all permissions and security settings back to defaults that would be easier to use?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
Subinacl is the easiest. Follow the instructions from the Arthur Xie MSFT post from Monday, July 27, 2009 7:27 AM at this link (5th post down): http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/1329e076-c6aa-44ee-8b32-29220b134f6d

Please try the following steps.

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save the installation patch on the Desktop:

Download details SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.

3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission settings on the current machine.

Note: If UAC (User Account Control) window is prompted for permission to continue, please click "Continue"

4. Click "Start". In the Start Search bar, type: "notepad" (without quotes) and press Enter.

5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad window:

@echo off
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir%\*.* /grant=system=f
@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

6. After the above commands are finished, please close the Notepad window. Choose Save when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file name and choose Desktop from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes. When it is finished, you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to continue".

Arthur Xie - MSFT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.