Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have been trying to update my computer for about 6 months now to no avail. Updates are downloaded, but not installed - - instead I get error code 80070002 and the updates all fail :upset:. I have tried using the stand alone installer, and all the recommendations that windows help offered, but no luck. I read through another thread and tried using the MGADiag.exe program and my OS is genuine, but the error code 80070002 comes up repeatedly throughout the report. Please, if anybody knows how to resolve this issue, I would be very appreciative!

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft MVP
7,483 Posts
80070002 is a File Not Found error. It suggests (to me) a corruption of the downloads. Give this a try (you must be using an adminstrator account for this):

- Go to Start and type "cmd" (without the quotes)
- at the top of the Search box will be an entry for CMD.EXE - right click on it and select "Run as administrator"
- In the black window that appears, type "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Wait until the screen tells you that it's completed successfully. Leave this window open as you'll need it later. If it prompts to stop other services, tell it yes.

- Open up Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution. Delete the contents of the folder (but not the folder itself).

- Go back to the black window and type "net start wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

- Reboot and see if Windows Update works now. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys! Just wondering if there are any more ideas on the 80070002 problem. I've got the same problem on an Acer laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate. I've done all previous advice on this and a couple of other forums plus, I ran the "Fix It" download I found on a Microsoft site and ran it with both default AND "aggressive" mode and still nothing has changed. Would appreciate any ideas and/or additional advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.