Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I recently wiped my hard drive clean and reinstalled Vista. It was giving me some trouble before because of a few things I had done, so I chose to start over (After backing up all of my important data, of course!).

After getting over a few of the initial bumps, I got it running again. After I got all of my drivers installed, I went straight for Windows Update. 71 updates available. Woo!

I have been able to install eight of them, but that is all. When I install all of them, it causes a BSoD when I reboot. It doesn't even ever actually get into Windows! Luckily for me, I make restore points often and Dell was kind enough to package an actual Vista installation DVD with my laptop.

I can't figure out which update is causing the problem. Windows Upate won't actually let me install each update individually, either. It seems to want all or none. On top of that, there are no memory.dmp logs, either...

I've set the machine up to stall on the BSoD rather than restart, so I may try to recreate the event to get the actual stop error. If I do, I'll update.

Any ideas?

Computer info:
Dell Inspiron 1420
Windows Vista Home Premium
3GB of RAM
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.83GHz

·
Registered
50 Posts
you wiped your HD clean with what ? just a basic format ? can you post the error of the BSOD here please ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My original post states that I can't post the BSoD error. It doesn't create a dump and it flashes too quickly for me to read it.

Also, it was just a basic format.

However, I think I may have found my problem. I managed to install 41 of the available updates, narrowing down my choices A LOT. I did a Google search on my remaining updates, and it seems that KB941649 has caused other people to have the same problem I have been.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649
I'm going to create another restore point, install all the other updates other than KB941649, another restore point, and then try the package available from Microsoft.

Wish me luck :)

·
Administrator, Manager, Microsoft Support, Acting
34,380 Posts
Hi -

MS kb941649 was rolled up into SP1. You have it -- if running SP1. I would like to better understand install of Vista here.

1. Is your copy of Vista OEM or FULL retail?
2. Was install from DVDs or recovery partition?
3. Was it SP1 or pre-SP1 install?
4. Did you intervene in Windows Updates? They all should have flowed in w/o incident - & w/o any help.

I would recommend Vista re-install since it was just done. Let me take a look at some items, first.

Please follow THESE instructions. Post the resulting zip file(s) to your next post.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.