Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few days I have been having trouble loging into Windows. When I turn the computer on, all seems fine. Windows comes up nice and fast, right upto the login screen.
From then, once I chose my own account, it takes an age to turn on.

I have looked through all the startup app's, nothing out of the ordinary (Anti-virus, MSN, thats about it).
Nothing shows up in HijackThis either.
I tried to defrag the HD, no use. Scanning for errors doesnt show up anything, the HD is only a couple of months old.

Its also taking a little longer than usual to close down Windows too. Often WMP doesnt open when you double-click a file. You have to double-click again and suddenly it comes up. Same when streaming WMV or MPG files from the net through WMP, sometimes it opens, sometimes it doesnt.

All this has happend more or less at the same time, for no reason. I havnt made any changes apart from uninstalled a couple of games I no longer play.
No new parts, no driver changes, no Windows update, no new programs, no BIOS tweaks, asolutely nothing. It just took 5 minutes to boot one day the other week and has been doing it ever since.

Any ideas?

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
Try the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem. You will need your Windows cd.

·
1,438 Posts
If you have not done so go and boot to safe mode (Tap F8 once a second after the POST beep when starting up till you get an options menu) .
Login with user name Administrator
if you never password protected this account leave the password empty.
Go to control panel/ users
create a new user account with a different name and password than your current one and give it full admin priveleges.
Restart your computer and login to the new account.
Let us know if it boots up normally or if it too has problems.
If it boots normally , then you just have some corruption of your current profile and we can fix that.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok tried what you said Geekgirl. Once it finished running, it just closed and didnt say anything, so I went to try rebooting. Windows wouldnt turn on anymore. Had to use a restore point to get it working. Restore point didnt fix loging trouble though.

Also tried your idea Oshwyn5, but even trying to login with Administrator while in Safe Mode took 3-4 minutes. It seems to be doing it with all accounts.

·
15,478 Posts
Ok tried what you said Geekgirl. Once it finished running, it just closed and didnt say anything, so I went to try rebooting. Windows wouldnt turn on anymore.
Strange, that would have not caused the system to not boot. You have other issues going on.

Im was leaning towards some type of program loading thats slowing down your system. Most times its your anti-virus that slows down the system, ecspecially if its Norton. McAfee will also slow it down. But after you stated even in Safe Mode it is slow that now sounds like maybe a hardware problem.
How much memory do you have installed? Right click My Computer and click Properties. In the General tab it should show you how much memory you have.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My memory is 2gb, as staded in my spec list below. As for hardware, apart from the DVD drives and Floppy, the entire computer is just two months old. Also, doesnt seem like any obvious hardware issue to me, because it would be causing a lot more than just this.

The only hardware problem I AM having is with the temp sensor on the motherboard reading nearly 70c, but I allready have a post going for that here, and, from what im beeing told, its just a bad sensor.

I would have just taken the easy step and reinstalled Windows, but I have to much that I cant get back if I format. Things installed over the time the computer has been running and what not (The computer is new, but the HD was clonned from my old PC to keep the data).

·
15,478 Posts
I know you stated what your memory is in your sig, I want you to look and see if that is still being read as 2 gb. If 1 of your sticks went bad the system wont say 2 gb anymore.

Safe mode is the Windows diagnostics mode. When you start the computer in Safe mode, only the specific components that are needed to run the operating system are loaded. Safe mode also loads a standard video driver at a low resolution. Having the same iisue while in Safe Mode makes me thinks this is not a driver issue or software issue but a hardware issue.

As for hardware, apart from the DVD drives and Floppy, the entire computer is just two months old.
I dont care if the system was purchased yesterday, you can have a fualty hardware from the manufacturer.

Also, doesnt seem like any obvious hardware issue to me, because it would be causing a lot more than just this.
Thats not true

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still showing as 2gb in System Properties.
Seems to be displaying the CPU and other components correctly, both in Windows and Everest. If it is hardware and not Windows, im not seeing anything unusual or out of place in the spec lists (Speed, size, etc...)

·
1,438 Posts
Is the CD you used to do the SFC XP Pro SP2 ? Or not?
The problem with non boot after SFC sounds like a problems with incorrect Service pack on the CD used for the check.
Normally it just rejects it outright; but sometimes you get your problem.

I would suggest doing a clean install. My advice is to put the existing drive in a USB enclosure to be able to access your data etc later.

Regarding hardware as the cause; yes I have heard of cases where a PCI card or SATA drive raid controller caused massive slowdowns like this; no error , just a massive slowdown.
That it occurs in safe mode too makes me really suspect that something terrible is wrong with windows though.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The CD I used was just Win XP Pro, I tried using the SP2 upgrade disk I have but it doesnt accept that :p

Would a slipstream SP2 (I think thats what it was called) disk work? Im sure I can find a guide for that online.

As for the clean install, is it posible to do some kind of upgrade/reinstalation over the existing Windows copy? That way I can keep everything as it is.
And whats this USB enclosure?

·
15,478 Posts
Yes if you slipstream SP2 it should work.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

As for the clean install, is it posible to do some kind of upgrade/reinstalation over the existing Windows copy?
This is called a Repair Install. You will still need to slipstream SP2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. Then insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and restart your computer.

1.When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

2.Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

3.Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console.

4.In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

5.Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

6.Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

If you have xp sp2 installed it needs to be incorporated into your xp disk or it will not offer the repair option only the clean install.

Slipstreaming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and Create Bootable CD

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I made the XP SP2 disk, went through the repair instalation, and now the computer wont turn on. I keep getting a BSOD error.
Im going to try and run the repair againg, but I think Windows is totaly messed up now, and im probably going to have to make a clean instalation and start from scratch with my files.
I cant even get into Windows to save any of my data, cant backup by network either wihtout Windows booting, and the only other computer in the house is a laptop, so I cant swap HDs for backup either :(
God how I hate Windows!

To be totaly honest, we havnt even found out what the trouble was in the first place, if it was a hardware problem then even a fresh install probably wont do any good...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Ok ive reinstalled Windows, installed all drivers, and some of the more basic apps I use, and so far this problem hasnt repeated itself. Login is running as normal right now...

Just one more question, I did a clean install without formating. This means I can keep my music collection, and save all my games save files before deleting them. Also it has kept my old Documents folder. Thing is, despite the user account not even exsisting anymore, I still cant get into the Documents folder. Is there any way to access or copy it? I need to get to some pretty important stuff in there...?

·
15,478 Posts
If you didnt format you did what they call a Repair Install. This is why you still have your music and such.
As for My Documents folder, are you getting any type of error message? Did you create a new user profile different from before? You may be able to go inot the registry and associate the user profile with the new one.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No I did a clean install, without a format. When you ask the Windows instalation to do this, it tells you the exsisting Windows directory will be deleted first, then the new one installed. Hence the fresh Windows instalation, and also why all old files outside of the Windows folder were left intact.

As for the error when trying to get into the other Documents folder, it sais "Access is denied".
I have managed to get into the main folder for the old account, and can see the Documents, Favorites. User Data and all that stuff, but I cant get into any of them without this error messege I just mentioned.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I managed to find a guide on the MS website on how to use an administrator account to change the ownership rights of a folder, and managed to recover the files that way.
Actually I found some other stuff I needed, setup files in the TEMP folder under that account :p

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ha not a problem. Managed to keep my music and movie collections, and because I recovered the old account folder, got back most game and program save files, so I just need to reinstall them and can carry on where I left off...
Im off sick from work, so I didnt have much better to do with my time :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.