Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HP 400c cd-r DVD burner and for the past week i can only open it and close it when i first boot up the computer before windows loads. Once windows loads i cannot see the power light on the drive and the drive will not respond when i press the button. The cd drive is recognized in the BIOS and this is the first time this has happened to me. I am on windows XP.

I have tried the microsoft FixIt utility, with the result that it could not fix it. I deleted the upper filter key in the registry, however when i find the lower filter it says i cannot delete it. I ran the command prompt and opened the device manager, selected view hidden devices and the cd drive showed up twice both greyed out so i deleted them and rebooted, now only one appears yet still greyed out and un recognized by windows. i dont know what to do next. =\

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You've tried the usual fixes so I'm suspecting the drive has failed. Try another drive in your PC or try your drive in another PC.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
You might have a power isue.
PC Specs?
Prebuilt- Brand Name & Model Number
Custom Build- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CPU Type QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 810, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)
Motherboard Name Biostar TA790GX 128M

DIMM1: OCZ Titanium XTC OCZ2T800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

DIMM2: OCZ Titanium XTC OCZ2T800C42G 2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz) (4-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz) (3-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz)

Corsair TX 650w

·
Moderator; Hardware
19,889 Posts
It's hard to help someone without all of the facts...

Ok ill try that. But if it failed then why does it work fine, and reads my boot disks and everything, but once windows loads, bye bye cd drive.
this is the first time you stated the drive works outside of Windows. Using the button to open/close, isn't an indication of the drive actually being functional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.