Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

when I try installing SP2, it starts out fine but then when it gets to the window with:

"Please wait while setup inspects your current configuration, archives your current files and updates your files,"
"Creating cabinets,"
"Details: Running processes before install"
(in order from highest to lowest on the window)

it just stays there (sorry if its hard to understand or picture from my description, if its still unclear please tell). I've left it like that overnight and it still stayed there so I know its not just something that takes a really long time (unless it takes over 10 hours). Is there anyway to fix this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that was a nice link, but when I try installing SP2 from it, it now gets stuck at:

"Please wait while setup inspects your current configuration, archives your current files and updates your files,"
"Checking for Necessary Space"
"Details: Running processes before install"

So I guess we're making a little progress though right? :tongue:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Umm...

I have XP Home with SP1 if thats what your asking. If thats not what you're looking for could you be more specific for me please?

Sorry.:smile:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah okies. Sorry about that. Hehe I feel dumb. :smile:

Ok so under System in the Control Panel it says:

Dell DIMENSION DIM4600 Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
2.39GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

And my video card is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200. (BTW what would you reccommend replacing this with? Its starting to become obsolete-ish.)

If I missed anything, which I know I probably did, could you please give me some instructions to find out?

Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Umm...

Am I just missing something?

I also searched more on the problem and someone in the Hijackthis forum who was helping me earlier gave me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319624

I followed the first set of instructions to unregister and then re-register the windows installer, but when I try to do the reregistering part I get a window titled Windows Installer saying:

"An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers."

Hope that helps diagnose the problem a little.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No I've been cleared by the HiJackThis forums. :grin:

The problem is definitely Windows Installer. The person helping me with my HiJackThis log told me I needed to update my Java and when I tried to I also got a Windows Installer problem very similar to when installing SP2.

I've tried downloading Windows Installer 3.2 from Microsoft and it went smoothly but SP2 and the Java still don't install.

Oh and Dai, for the second link you gave me, I explained what happened when I tried doing that in the post right before yours. Thanks for continuing to help me though.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
the link in post 8 is for windows 2000
this is part of that link
Note This behavior does not occur in the following products:• Microsoft Windows XP
• Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
• Microsoft Windows 98
do you have a normal xp disk or just a restore disk

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have XP, and I do have an XP disk but I've done a repair install very recently, and haven't done anything else on my computer besides what the person in the HJT forum instructed me to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I downloaded it again, and ran it again, and again, it went through the update smoothly but after, I restarted my computer and tried installing something that used Windows Installer and it still didn't work.

Is there a way to just unintstall windows installer and then completely reinstall it?

Oh and as for SP2, now it always gets stuck at "Checking for necessary space" instead of "Creating Cabinets." I have 691.14 MB of available physical memory and 1.98 GB or available virtual memory.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I am wondering if this would apply:

Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
As long as you installed the application using the Windows Installer, this utility will remove all the folders, files, registry keys, and entries from your system and allow you to start over with a clean slate.

Download the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Locate and run msicuu2.exe to install the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.
Locate and launch the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility on the Start menu.
From the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility window, locate the application in the list and click the Remove button.
Once the application has been removed, click the Exit button to close the utility.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I've tried that but I think thats for uninstalling applications that need Windows Installer to uninstall. Nothing to do with installing SP2, I think. :smile:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.