Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently installed Windows XP Home Edition on my computer after using a previous version of Windows XP Professional that happened to be pirated. After installing iTunes as well as Windows Media player i tried to play a song and got this message- "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."
I could previously play music fine on my old version of Windows so I was wondering if anyone could please explain how to solve this problem. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Have you checked in Device Manager to make sure your sound device drivers are installed? Most likely that is the culprit. If it is, you'll need the drivers for your sound device, either from a CD or from download from the vendor's website. Are you using a sound card or integrated audio from the motherboard?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went into Device Manager and found out that I have a C-Media AC97 Sound Device, so I went to their website and downloaded the driver. After installing it the problem is still there. I don't know if it's a sound card or integrated from the motherboard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
C-Media is a sound card installed in your computer....
First of all disable your onboard sound from BIOS....
Uninstall the drivers of your sound card from Add Remove Program and from Device manager...Restart your computer and then run that file which u have downloaded from the C-Media's website...After installing drivers, computer might ask u to restart again if so then do it......!
Other than this, check the pins which u have inserted in the sound card as well coz sometimes a loose connection ends up the cuprit as well....!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.