Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me if my lingo is not too technical.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows XP Home Edition..Sadly it crashed rather seriously a few months ago and I used the recovery disk to restore it back to factory condition...Thankfully my files and programs were all backed up.

I was unable to restore it and as a matter of urgency had to buy a new computer...a HP G60-214EM running Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit. I dont really like it as so many of my programs are not compatible and I have to run various software and driver downloads in order to make things work properly....my Epson printer for example.

I wish to get my old Toshiba running again but every time I try to boot it this message comes up :

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original CD-Rom
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair

Can anybody help me here ?...I don't really know where to start....The Toshiba never had a setup disk only a recovery, additional software and Tools & Utilities disks....

Thanks and everybody have an enjoyable weekend..

Stupot52

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
There should be a Restore Partition. If you hit the F11 key at startup it should take you there unless it has been deleted. If you have a recovery disc, just boot off of that and it should restore your computer to Factory Settings. If you want to retrieve data off of it first then pull the HDD and attach it to an External USB Enclosure/Adapter mount it on another computer and copy your files.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Spike,

In fact I have already gone down that route several times in order to get the machine back to factory settings...but after the recovery has taken place the message as posted above continues to come up about a missing or corrupt setup file...

Is this computer too far gone to be repaired ?....It's not a hugely fast and powerful piece of equipment but I was always happy with it and Windows XP..it served my needs very well, whereas the Vista software on my replacement HP I am generally unimpressed with...

Thanks again,

Stupot52

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.