Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi. Well to start out I tried to format a partition on my computer I made after recently reinstalling windows xp onto my computer and shortly after the formatting was finished my computer shut down. I then spent a few hours searching for possible answers.

Not finding one from the Internet nor my brother or friends I decided the only way forward would be to reinstall windows or try to use the windows repair function on the installation disc. Much to my confusion after trying to do so a screen popped up saying that windows couldn't find a hard-drive connected to the computer.

I have absolutely no idea what to do so I would thought pleading for your help would be a necessary option. So please if you can help I would be very appreciative.

Thank you for reading and possibly helping.

My apologies for posting two threads. As I am currently posting from my iPod, as soon as I find a way to delete the other thread I will. until the I would appreciate it if anyone with any information could post on this thread.

Thank you and sorry again.

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
if the hard drive is sata xp has no native support for sata

set it to be seen as ide in the bios

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
Boot off of the Windows Disc Or download the Recovery Console ISO. Burn it to CD with IMGBurn Boot off of the newly created CD and get to the Recovery Console. Here type chkdsk /R and press enter. The Check Disk utility will try and fix any file errors.
You can also download the ISO image for Drive Fitness Test in my signature and burn the image to a CD using IMGBurn and boot off of the newly created CD and run the short and extended tests on the HDD to test the integrity of the drive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have experience something similar before.

Some XP Installation with native driver do not work with ACPI. You would have to disable it in BIOS.

Let me know if this has resolve your problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well currently I can't even access bios as everytime I try it just restarts the computer. So gonna unplug and leave it for a bit.

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
If you can't enter Setup (Bios) because your computer is restarting automatically, then you have a hardware problem that probably isn't your HDD. Open the case and blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Turn the computer on and see that all fans are spinning. Try to enter Setup (Bios). If that fails, then the Power Supply Unit, (PSU) probably needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok well after cleaning my processor fan I can access bios. Though ( probably due to my own stupidity ) find a drop down box for sata that have the same choices as you said nor can I find where to disable acpi.

I apologise for my lack of intellect in this area as I have never had to venture into this part of my computer :(.

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
In the Bios, under SATA, change the HDD Mode from AHCI to IDE or Compatibility Mode

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only option is to disable. I figure that a new hard drive is the only way forward. As I just tried to boot without my hard drive plugged in and there was no difference.

Unless someone has another idea as I have tried all the ones suggested above :)?

·
Global Moderator
42,228 Posts
Can you tell us the make and model # of your computer? You don't want to Disable the SATA port if you are using a SATA HDD. If you can't find the setting to change the HDD Mode, you can go to the computer manufacturer or motherboard manufacturer and download the SATA driver for your motherboard and slipstream the SATA driver into your XP disc with nLIte

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
what are you running
video card brand and model
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
model
wattage

check the listings in the bios for 12v line voltages and temperatures and post them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.