Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this aint a windows 2003 forum, but someone might still be able to help.

I just got the eval of windows 2003, i installed it, and
the first time it starts up everything is fine, but once i
restart the computer after that I enter my password and
then everything stops, no icons nothin, just the desktop
with no icons, and it seems like the computer is not doin
anything.

I then startup in safe mode and everything loads up fine,
all the icons come up and the OS is running fine. I looked
in the event viewer and there are a load of errors and
they all say:

The Device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within
the timeout period.

I have no clue what this means or how to fix it, if anyone
knows how to fix it or has any ideas, please tell..

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check the application event log for expiration notices for the evaluation. Sometimes this can happen early especially if you change date in the BIOS.

:cheers: :sleep:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no mention of it expiring, This happens on the day i install it, after the first restart, i think it might be something to do with a Hard drive or CD-Rom as they are Ide devices, but i really have no clue... i am quite annoyed that this has happened, as i never had any problems with any other Windows OS, Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP all work, and leave it to Windows 2003 not to AH.

Any Other Suggestions?

JAY

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ah, you installed on what, A new blank test mach...did you up grade a Win2K server, that would work also. If you had an OS on the mach you would have had to run fdisk, etc and reformat, etc. Also run the "check for upgrade utility" on the CD to see if your Box can handle that OS...prob can but it just sounds like a setup error. I run eval stuff for a month or two all the time. Tell us more specs! :bandit:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More Info

Computer Specs:
2000XP Athlon Processor
1GB DDR Ram
80GB HDD
Lite-On DVD Rom
Artec CD-RW
Radeon 9700 Pro
Onboard Sound

I have now found out that the problem is with the Artec CDRW. The problem occurs when it is connected (After I log on windows stops responding), if i disconnect it, then windows 2003 starts up fine. So I am thinking that Windows Server 2003 is incompatible with my CDRW or the CDRW is not compatible with Windows Server 2003, I also installed Longhorn 4015 recently and I have the same problem. My CDRW works with all other versions of windows e.g. win2k, winxp. So I am not sure. I have included a screenshot of the event viewer error log. If you have any idea please reply. Thanks

Jay

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if I'm bringing this back up but I also have the same problem when I disconnect my Artec CDRW Windows Server 2003 loads perfectly but when it's connected it won't load at all.

Gav

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.