Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had this problem a few months ago which I had solved (at least I thought so) with system restore but the situation is a bit more severe because, whatever is happening, it is deleting my restore points.

This really is a spur of the moment kind've thing without warning. My PC was working immaculately until the day before yesterday. I usually always leave my PC on overnight or whenever I go to sleep. I got up yesterday morning and discovered that the PC had crashed to the bios screen. It absolutely would not start for a few times for who knows what reason and I had to keep trying system diagnostics. I thought I might've been hit by a virus and it was being antagonised by the scan I was running that night. After finding nothing wrong and discovering I had no restore points for about half an hour, I managed to get the PC started again and it didn't seem like anything was actually wrong.

When I checked task manager, I discovered that hardly any processes or programs were starting up. I used the PC that day as usual and nothing at all seemed out of place except for the fact the PC was very quiet, could barely even hear any sort of disk activity at all. So I left it on overnight again, this time without running a scan, came back to it this morning and discovered it had crashed again, this time to the login screen (this could've happened any number of times that night, to my knowledge.) I logged in and the exact same thing happens, next to no processes running, hardly any disk activity whatsoever and all my system restore points have vanished. Seeing as I can't use system restore to get out of this anymore, it is a bit of a worry to me.

As I say, I really don't know what is causing this. Whether it is a virus or some kind've system/hardware failing, I honestly don't know what to do but I can't deal with my PC being like this. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do? I really do not wish to have to backup and nuke my windows installation (because I may be unable to) and that has to be the absolute last resort for me.

·
Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Team Moderator, Articles
39,557 Posts
Make and model number of everything found inside the PC? GPU, PSU, MOBO, etc.

Download HWMonitor from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Make sure to download the .zip file to your desktop.

Once downloaded to your desktop unzip the hwmonitor.zip folder to your desktop.

Open up the unzipped folder and run either the 32bit Software or 64bit Software.
How to tell the difference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218
Allow HWMonitor to run while the PC is at an idle state. After about five minutes of running at idle take a screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

Now allow HWMonitor to run while gaming or doing heavy processing for about five minutes. Take another screenshot and save the image to your desktop.

In your next reply please include both screenshots.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f195/how-to-post-a-screenshot-184291.html

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.