Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While checking some things in the My Computer part of the desk top I noticed this computer has Windows 98SE. I thought it had Windows 98 only. Whats the difference. And good or bad?

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
The SE stands for Second Edition.

It is "better" than the original 98 release. It has some minor improvements and less buggy. They had more time after the "time crunch" to release the Win98. Second Edition is also OEM. It was never for sale as a full retail version.

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
hmmm

what was never available for retail?

are you saying that 98se wasnt?

thats odd, i have a windows 98 second edition full cd right here,
(says for pc's without windows, so it isnt an upgrade...)

i have also seen others.

~BoB~

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Actually, W98SE was sold as an Upgrade, and Update, and retail, as well as OEM. I have the end user Upgrade, and the Update CD for W98 users here. I've also seen W98SE in retail boxes as recently as last year in several local computer stores.

·
ID10T Circuit replacement
1,038 Posts
My bad. Was not ever supposed to be retail version. The update disc was orderable through Microsoft. all the 98 SE were only supposed to be with new computers.

Oh well, thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a relative that bought the upgrade but it wouldn't load (probably his fault). He called Microsoft and they gave him a different Key and it was able to install as the Retail version. Never heard of that before.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
There are many Microsoft packages, as well as other makers stuff, that the only difference is the key. I noticed that when I install Nero from one of the many CD's I've gotten with CD-RW drives, it's Nero Burning Rom. However, if I enter my key from my retail version, it magically becomes Nero Enterprise Edition. :D I don't even know what the difference is, since any version does what I need to do, burn CD's. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.