Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm a bit distraught with my pc. I recently upgraded some of my parts and when I put them together everything seems to be okay, but then when I go to install windows the system reboots.
It goes into the initial Windows Setup Screen (blue with a bar at the bottom), it goes through all the files that it loads, ie USB Mouse, RAID SCSI(sorry, I'm not near my broken pc to double check this, I'm using a friend's computer), then it says something like "Setup is Loading Windows" then it reboots.

These are my specs:
3000+ AMD 64 Athlon
Kingston 400MHz 1 GB PC3200 DDR RAM (1 stick)
Gigabyte Motherboard GA-K8NXP-SLI
BFG 7800 GT OC pci-e
2 x 200GB Maxtor IDE HDD
500w Ebuyer Value PSU

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to be working. I've swapped the ram, I've swapped the hdds, I've taken out all the additional features of the motherboard (ie, wifi card). I can't try a new gfx card because I don't have another pci-e card available to me. I'm a little concerned that perhaps I shouldn't have been so stingy on the PSU and that's the problem. But 500w should be more than enough. If anyone can help I'd be grateful.Right now all I have is a £600 paper weight which can only run a bios screen.

I also have another question, if the ram or psu were incompatible with the motherboard, would it be immediately apparent? Would I be able to access the bios like I am now?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm near the end of my tether.

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
I dont think a PSU can be incompatable with a motherboard. I mean, any power supply should boot the system, there are certain power plugs you need to connect but I have never heard of one being incompatable unless it doesnt fit into the case :rolleyes:

.....but memory is a different story. It will give you fits if it is not compatable, sometimes rendering the system useless. Are you positive your memory is what the board supports?

·
Registered
25,111 Posts
Hi,

I need some more information.

When you put this together, did you do a clean format and install of the operating system, or did you just change hard drives and want it to work without a reinstall of the OS?

When you put it together, did you use thermal paste or the factory pad between the heatsink and the CPU?

Does everything work otherwise like case fans, cpu fan, lights on. etc.

Can you get into the BIOS setup menu?

Do you notice any excess heat when you take the side of the case off?

When you give us some of this additional information, it should help to begin looking at specific areas.

Post back and let's see if we can get this one solved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replying to GeekGirl,

The ram should be okay. I use italics only because I'm now uncertain. In the booklet that comes with my mobo, it says: Supports dual channel DDR 400/333/266/200 so my RAM should work.

Replying to Tumbleweed36,

I had one unused 200GB ide hdd as the master and another used 200GB as the slave. The used one doesn't have an operating system. I was using it in my last machine as storage. There are no programs installed on it. But when windows wouldn't install the first time, I took away the 2nd used drive and tried it with the fresh one alone. Still no difference.

As to your 2nd question, I bought an AMD processor and heatsink pack. The heatsink had some thermal paste on it, if that's what you meant by factory pad then yes.

Everything else works inside. That's why it's so strange. It boots up as if nothing is wrong.

I can access the bios. That's all I can do.

There doesn't appear to be any excess heat.

Everything seems to be connected correctly. It's either a faulty part somewhere or something in the BIOS that I need to change.

Thanks again guys. There will be pints all around when we can solve this!

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
a couple of things

go into bios - then go to the ram timings- and relaxe them until you get windows up and running
3-4-4-8 or something along those lines. slow it down for now.

and use a ps2 mouse until windows is up

post back

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reply to whosdat

it's strange how you knew I was using a USB mouse. :wink: I've swapped it over.

Now, as for the memory speeds. I've never really messed around with those before. I had to enter a secret bios menu to access them.

I used this link to guide me and I changed the RAM timings but it still restarted. Should I try and change it again, to some slower times? If so, what times. As I said I'm new to this.

I was sure that would work. :sad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure it's a problem with the RAM. I tried my old RAM that worked fine and it still had the same problem. Nonetheless, I'll give the memtest86 a try. I don't have a cd burner handy (it's in my dead pc) so I'll have to get a friend to make one for me, so unfortunately, I can't try it just yet.

I was wondering if it could be my gfx card causing all the strife. The whole system works fine until it needs to use the gfx card in order to run the windows installation. I don't have another pci-e card to swap it with to check so I can't confirm... but does that seem like a possibilty? :4-dontkno

Thanks again guys. I really do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7,747 Posts
sammigszander said:
I was wondering if it could be my gfx card causing all the strife. The whole system works fine until it needs to use the gfx card in order to run the windows installation. I don't have another pci-e card to swap it with to check so I can't confirm... but does that seem like a possibilty?
Actually it could be any piece of hardware or software in that matter. The object is to cancel out anything that seems suspicious. If you have a spare PCI video card, you might try that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry, that I haven't been able to reply. I had work today. I don't have a spare PCI card sadly. Only AGP ones. And my mobo doesn't have an on board vga card either.

I got my hands on some other RAM and it had the same problem. So I don't think it's the memory. Right now, I'm certain it's not the HDD's because I've swapped them over. I'm pretty sure it's not the ram. it's either the processor, the graphics card or the motherboard itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.