Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before i start, I am Running:

WinXP-Pro, Service Pack 3
2.22 GHz Athlon 64 3500+ Processor
2 Gigs of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT Graphics Card

What appears to happen is that once in a blue moon, without any prior warning, the entire computer will lock up solid for about 15 seconds then black screen me and none of my input or output devices will work. That means, Mouse, Keyboard, sound, Monitors, etc. They all die simultaneously. The odd part is, the computer is still working as far as I can tell as the system doesn't even hiccup.

It WAS doing this more than it is now, however it seems to have reduced somewhat. I'm guessing that it has something to do with my power supply as me replacing the 350 watt supply with a 550 watt supply (for a completely different problem) seems to have reduced the occurence of this issue. Instead of happening once or twice a week it now happens once or twice every 2 or 3 weeks. It's still annoying when it happens. Anyone have any clue?

·
Registered
59 Posts
When you boot back into your machine...check the event logs and see whats happening just prior to the failure. If you can, check after a couple of occurrences and see if there are any similarities that might point you in the right direction. Anybody else have an idea?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually, I tried that. All it tells me is that it had an inproper shutdown (I have to hard-reboot to get it back) and what programs it was running (usually either warcraft 3, ragnarok online or something similarly long running). Yet whenever I get the computer to access the same section of the game it manages it just fine.

Length of running is no indicator either as one week it'll happen about 20 minutes after starting up the computer for the first time that day, others it'll take 28 or 29 hours of constant running before it happens. This has me really puzzled.

I'm sure it's not my power supply anymore since I'm running enough power to run at least 3 more hard drives according to 2 different online calculators (I really ought to only have a 450 watt but the 550 was the only one that had the plugs I needed)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quez: yes but I forget them, I'll have to go take a look next time I'm on that computer

Amd_Man: one of the first things I checked, unfortunately. But it's not like it's going into standby, EVERYTHING on the computer just freezes (and sound starts skipping). Scary scary.... Ah, I hope it's not RAM, I can't afford to replace it right now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
quez: yes but I forget them, I'll have to go take a look next time I'm on that computer

Amd_Man: one of the first things I checked, unfortunately. But it's not like it's going into standby, EVERYTHING on the computer just freezes (and sound starts skipping). Scary scary.... Ah, I hope it's not RAM, I can't afford to replace it right now.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I've been having this exact same problem for many weeks now and its driving me up the wall as to why its happening. AVG does its complete scan and finds nothing, I've run Malware Bytes, AdAware and several other scanners and they're not finding anything amiss. At one point I upgraded to SP3 but it started causing problems so I uninstalled it.

If anyone has any suggestions it'd be great otherwise I'm almost to the point of reformatting the main HD and re-installing XP.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found it at last but it only said it had a system failureand that I should run chkdsk (which I did). It turned up some errors which it corrected when I restarted but I seriously doubt that's all it would take to fix my computer's issues.

Only problem is, I have no idea how to force this issue to resurface so I'm kinda hanging til it happens again. Until it does, I can try the memtest though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my previous computer had a similar problem. I could have it on for a minute, hour, day, up to about 3 days.. no more then that. Sooner or later it would lock up... regardless of CPU or memory consumption.

It was a custom build and all the parts were compatible. I ran memtest for 2 days (also tried known good stick), it was fine, sent the motherboard back to manu. it was fine.

The CPU was bad. All the minidumps were saying memory because when the CPU crashed it's error dominoed into the memory's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.