Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am in my Task Manager, I see that 35 processes are running at any given time while the computer is on. Now, I know for a fact that this can be reduced to about 20 (give or take few), I am just not exactly sure how.
Does anyone have any info or tuts so I can follow to reduce all these processes?

·
Registered
47 Posts
The processes are linked to programs that are running, including Windows. You could stop some unneeded programs from starting at bootup through

Run > msconfig > Startup tab

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That doesn't work for me because I only have 2 things at my start-up, so there's gotta be something else

·
Registered
142 Posts
Taskmgr.exe - Which is your Task Manager
IEXplore.exe - Internet Explorer
svchost.exe - these are windows services nd u dnt
msnmsgr - msn messenger running on the system tray

anything starts with ati belongs to ur ATI card!

all other processes belongs to ur OS and its always recommended not to stop OS processes

If you are unsure about any process, you can google it any time!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It still doesn't make sense. you dont need 34 processes running in the background for a crappy OS like XP.
I am still pretty sure there is a way to cut most of them down...

·
Registered
142 Posts
then go to Run....Type msconfig > under services tab > first select check box which says hide all microsoft services........Disable the remainig.!
Dont get me wrong but these processess disabling might harm ur computer... nd if something goes wrong then u can always go into safe mode to enable them!
I think u've got media center PC..........I have got XP Pro and only running 7 Programs but my processes are 49.... So ya XP runs heaps of processes! Thats how crappy it is!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that and its awesome, i am down to 18 processes and the computer starts up faster and all the other applications are working by at least 25% faster and quicker. its funny how reducing those processes a comp can work faster...and better too.
thanks a lot for the tip!

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
svchost.exe controls many different services which run on XP and it's normal to have multiple instances of it running...nothing to worry about unless any of those instances are eating up a lot of memory or cpu.

Also, disabling third party services may reduce your process count but it may also leave vital programs not functioning properly so it's always best to disable each one after checking what they do.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can actually get your base process count down much lower than 20. For instance, this is a screenshot of my own:

Excluding my own personal apps running (MSN, VC++, Winamp, IE and the Task Manager) I have 10 processes running.

As for your processes, most of them are services and driver-related background programs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey mattbro,

can you send me the pic of all the services and programs u disabled so i can take a look and do it myself?
thanks in advance

·
Happy to support TSF!
7,263 Posts
That's not something I would generally advise to do as what works well for MattBro may not work for you. You have also got to think about security issues as well....but that's just my opinion :)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Well, I've had to enable alot of the services I did not have on before. But this is only due to software-development/testing requirements, which the average user does not need to worry about.

So, you can pretty much disable (and stop) all the services, but pay special attention to the following. You can choose whether or not you want to disable them.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - Without this, _alot_ of programs which implement networking will fail.

DNS Client - Required for some out-of-the-ordinary DNS lookups. (Network related)

COM+ System Application - You can disable this, but if things start not working properly/at all just re-enable it.

HTTP SSL - Only needed if websites you visit require it. Not many do.

HID Input Service - Support for such things as hotkey's, and various other 'user-accessibility' features.

Indexing Service - Required if you want to transfer file's over a local network using Window's built-in file-sharing features. (i.e; "My Network Places")

DHCP Client - If you don't have a static IP, you'll need this.

Workstation - Another requirement for Window's file-sharing.

Windows Time - For synchronizing your clock. Hence, keeping it up-to-date. This one really isn't that important. Just re-enable it every once in awhile to ensure your clock is on time.

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - If you want to use Window's Firewall, or share you're internet connection over LAN, keep this enabled.

Windows Audio - If you want to hear sounds while using explorer (Such as when you open a folder, ect...) keep this enabled.

Themes - More visual candy. Without it, your system will look like Windows95.

Terminal Services - Required for Remote Desktop Connection's.

Telephony - If you use VOIP, or any telecommunication applications (such as a phone dialer) you'll need this. Windows Live Messenger also requires it.

Task Scheduler - Required if you use "Scheduled Tasks". (i.e; Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks).

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator - Always keep this as manual.

Network Location Awareness (NLA) - Required for Windows file-sharing.

Network DDE - Required for Windows file-sharing, and other Window's networking applications.

Network DDE DSDM - Again, required for Window's file-sharing and a few Window's networking apps.

Network Connections - Required only if you want to modify the configuration of your network connections. (Control Panel -> Network Connections).

IPSEC - Disable it if you've got XBOX360 on your LAN. Otherwise, keep it on Manual.

Distributed Transaction Coordinator - Window's file-sharing.

Distributed Link Tracking Client - Window's file-sharing.

Windows Installer - Always keep this on Automatic. Otherwise alot of application installers will not work.

System Restore Service - Required if you want to use System Restore.

Server - Window's file-sharing.

Print Spooler - If you want to print multiple documents at once, keep this on Automatic.

Fast User Switching Capability - Keep it on Manual.

Computer Browser - Window's file-sharing.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service - If you use Automatic updates, keep this on Manual.

Automatic Updates - If you use Automatic updates, keep this on Automatic.

* Note that, I generalize when I say "Window's file-sharing". This also means printer, named-pipes, ect...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.