Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get popups on my pc but there not net popups. They are in windows and kick me off whatever i'm doing. Any ideas how to get rid?

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Sounds like you have an adware program on your computer. I would recommend downloading either Ad-aware or Spybot: search and destroy. If the proram has the icon of a dollar sign on it, then it is from a program called SaveNow, which can be uninstalled from Add/Remove programs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an advert but its in a sorta error box. When it comes up i think theres an error but its an ad. They said to get thier ad blocker to get rid of it. Which will cost me and has probably got spyware. I think its spyware too.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
If you're getting Messenger pop-ups, DON'T just disable messenger! You're getting a wake-up call that your don't have a firewall, that's the first problem you should solve. The free ZoneAlarm will do the job, as will a host of others.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im going to drop in here, even though Im new and say, do not use zonealarm. Ever. Its a substandard program, it totally farked up my Port access for 2 weeks, disabled outgoing, but enabled INCOMING FTP, and refused to uninstall, it took me that long to figure out what was wrong.

If your talking about firewall protection, its worth the extra cash to actually buy one, I recommend either norton or mcafee, both are equally good IMO.

*Admin Edit*
Downloading programs like that is considered piracy.

Im aware of that, which is why I advised against it.

As to those below, 1 im not an idiot, I set it correctly, but because its a pos program its totally screwed up.

2 if its so good, why does every person Ive ever met whos used it(both online and RL) wish they had never even seen it before, let alone used it, norton or mcafee are far superior programs.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I do not agree. ZoneAlarm (especially pro) will work fine as long as you configure it correctly (meaning if you need a port open you have to SET IT to let packets through that port). I have never had problems with zonealarm that weren't a side effect of problems with my computer.

How can ZoneAlarm be substandard if it pertty much set the industry standard?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I've actually installed, used, and uninstalled ZoneAlarm free version on several systems, never an issue. One problem on one system doesn't make it a bad product.

·
Registered
336 Posts
ZA free is probably the most popular free firewall available (been around a long time) Very user friendly too. If you install it you might be able to tell what the program is. You will get a message "Do you want to allow yadayada Program to access the internet?"

It sounds like you are getting one of those popup ads to buy a popupkiller.:upset:

I use AdShield to block ads but can't find the free version anymore. There are alot of free popupblockers though...check google.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ren of Heavens said:
Does it have Windows Messenger at the top? If so, this may help you ^_^
Here's a better way to get rid of the MSN Messenger SPAM boxes:

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm

This little app is a snap to use and downloads real quick, even on a crappy dial-up connection. Just open, use, and voilà!! No more Messenger pop-ups! :D

... Though Ren's solution is good too!! :winkgrin:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
GandalfTheWhite said:
Here's a better way to get rid of the MSN Messenger SPAM boxes:

http://grc.com/stm/shootthemessenger.htm
Please read the whole thread. All you're doing by disabling the Messenger service is turning off the warning that your firewall protection is missing! That is not the solution, unless you think sticking your head in the sand is the solution to any problem. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Everybody is yelling about the insecurity of M$ products, but the folks don't even have firewalls. Hey, I keep my computer up 24/7. I have been hit by Blaster, Byte Verify, Nimba, etc, etc, etc, and I'm still here!

Without perimeter defense (translate, firewall) the rest of the stuff being done is just stuff.

One more time:

1. Perimeter defense. I have used the free Zone Alarm for years without difficulty attributable to it.

2. Up to date antivirus protection, spyware blocking, spyware killers, etc. All of this is available free !

3. Patch the software...keep it all up-to-date. I had a brand new Trojan come right on in once, but the damage was minimal because my software did not let it in.

As a part of #3, go here and let Steve Gibson help you shore up your security holes (for free).

I've missed a lot, I know, but it's a start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
johnwill said:
Please read the whole thread. All you're doing by disabling the Messenger service is turning off the warning that your firewall protection is missing! That is not the solution, unless you think sticking your head in the sand is the solution to any problem.
My, my, my..... Such venom on your words, sir. Somebody obviously spit on your Cornflakes this morn. :rolleyes:

As it stands, my suggestion was correct as disabling the Messenger Service removes the vulnerability with Windows Messenger where people can simply send you pop-ups a-la NET SEND (if you actually had tried to read the information on Mr. Gibson's site about the app, you'd have realised that).

But I'll not ruffle anymore feathers than apparently already are... ;)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I have read Gibson's explanation, and I also read where he recommends you have the real protection of a firewall. Apparently, you didn't read that far. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
johnwill said:
I have read Gibson's explanation, and I also read where he recommends you have the real protection of a firewall. Apparently, you didn't read that far. :rolleyes:
Indeed... And what does a firewall (such as Zonealarm) do? When something tries to use the Messenger Service to send you a "pop-up", it warns you and you have the possibility of blocking access. But you aren't taking care of the problem then. As you so eloquently put it: "you're simply hiding your head in the sand".

Now if you disable the Messenger Service (which is not needed to run Messenger at all), you take care of the problem by removing the source of it.

Of course, having a Firewall is the best way to make sure that nothing else gets through and I recomend having one (either software or hardware), but I realize that not everyone is interested in having one. Hence why I suggested (as Mr. Gibson did) to remove the vulnerability that's causing the problem.

After all, if you have a splinter on your finger, would you remove it or would you put band-aid on it?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
GandalfTheWhite said:
Indeed... And what does a firewall (such as Zonealarm) do? When something tries to use the Messenger Service to send you a "pop-up", it warns you and you have the possibility of blocking access. But you aren't taking care of the problem then. As you so eloquently put it: "you're simply hiding your head in the sand".

Now if you disable the Messenger Service (which is not needed to run Messenger at all), you take care of the problem by removing the source of it.

Of course, having a Firewall is the best way to make sure that nothing else gets through and I recomend having one (either software or hardware), but I realize that not everyone is interested in having one. Hence why I suggested (as Mr. Gibson did) to remove the vulnerability that's causing the problem.

After all, if you have a splinter on your finger, would you remove it or would you put band-aid on it?
It's pretty obvious that you don't truly understand the difference in disabling a totally benign system service and protecting yourself from the varied threats that would be blocked with a firewall. Does MSBLASTER ring a bell? Even without the Microsoft patches, it doesn't make it past the firewall.

If your NETBIOS ports are open to the Internet, you have the real chance of having a much BIGGER problem than a pop-up message! Get it now? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
johnwill said:
It's pretty obvious that you don't truly understand the difference in disabling a totally benign system service and protecting yourself from the varied threats that would be blocked with a firewall. Does MSBLASTER ring a bell? Even without the Microsoft patches, it doesn't make it past the firewall.

If your NETBIOS ports are open to the Internet, you have the real chance of having a much BIGGER problem than a pop-up message! Get it now? :rolleyes:
Ok..... I think we got off on the wrong foot here.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think you quite understood what I meant or what removing the Messenger service actually DOES. The pop-up adds that he's describing sound an awefull lot like the ones I (and many others) were aflicted with a while back. I tried everything, including turning on the Windows XP firewall. No good.

Until I happened to be browsing through the GRC site and saw the "Shoot the Messenger" link. Installed it, and voila! No more pop-ups. And that was before I was finally forced to get Zonealarm a few months back due to the BLASTER worm fiasco...

As for the NETBIOS ports: yes, having a firewall will certainly help in that regard. But how about simply removing the threat altogether by removing the service bindings?

Again, firewalls are not the final solution for everything: they're not 100% effective and it is possible to get around them (even though it's not easy). That and that you will run into side-effects like some sites not allowing you to download files from them, slow browsing, etc.

And even the best of firewalls cannot protect users from comon stupidities like opening e-mails with attachments they're not sure of: "Hey! I got an e-mail from Microsoft with a file for my password, should I open it?".... :rolleyes:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Removing the service bindings protects the NETBIOS ports, but it still doesn't address all the other points of vulnerability, all the other system ports. The firewall is a gatekeeper that is first in line to stop any incoming probes from getting any farther. The beauty of the firewall is that it defaults to 100% protection and YOU decide which ports to open. If you start tinkering with individual ports, you'll spend hours on each system disabling them individually, a much more difficult chore.

While it's true that no software is 100% uncrackable, a decent Firewall is very effective.

Downloading email bombs, and other things you invite in are a whole other class of problems. That's what the current AV and spyware scanners are for.

Finally, the firewall will help in many of these cases, since the malware that you might download that try's to "call home" will be trapped by the outgoing monitoring of the firewall.

There is no "one solution" to system security, any configuration is going to be a combination of a number of protective measures. I just happen to believe that a firewall is a key element in any effective protection in today's climate.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.