I suppose it was inevitable - Microsoft have quietly been designing and building their own tablet PC - and the Surface has now arrived. On the face of it, this would seem to be a strange move since Apple have the tablet market pretty well to themselves. Of course MS have the PC market pretty much to themselves, despite what Apple may say.

The Surface has been receiving good reviews although we do not yet know the pricing structure.

What is exciting geeks is the prospect of having Windows run on a tablet. And this tablet is exactly what Windows 8 seems to have been designed for - rather the standard PC. Plus the Surface includes a full USB port - something lacking in many competitor devices.

I'm still undecided about tablets - I can't see my employer suddenly switching thousands of staff to Surface tablets - I reckon the majority of corporate customers will continue using desktops and laptops for a few years yet.

And yet...if the Surface will run Office as well as Windows then it may well spike some interest from the corporate market. The majority of corporate customers use Office and they will continue to do so for many years to come. The iPad is seen more as a leisure device so perhaps MS have done their homework - while they may not relish direct competition with Apple in the leisure market, the corporate/professional/business user could be the ideal target.

It will be interesting to see if the pricing of the Surface makes any impact.

Note: no tablets were harmed during the writing of this blog.