Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting in the XP forum because I was under the impression that I had/have windows XP. The complete message is

"Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

The computer is a 2001 or 2002 Dell Rev. A03, It won't load windows and I can't seem to access any boot menu. I have not made any changes to the computer's hardware.

·
Registered
40,870 Posts
Windows XP is of the Window NT File System (NTFS) family. Download the ISO image for Memtest in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the tests with ONE stick of RAM in at a time. testing individually. If you get any errors, that stick is bad and needs to be replaced.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
This is a low memory error not related to the file system.

Low memory refers to the memory allocation below 1meg ie. the original 640kb

It would appear this machine either had most of its memory removed or most of its memory has failed. You should see a bios summary screen that lists how much memory the machine has. If not you can see it in the bios.

Good suggestion to test your memory.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
How much memory did the test say you have?
How does this compare to the bios summary screen?
When exactly does this error occur?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
According to MemTest : L1 cache 8k and L2 cache 256 k

According to Bios : Cache RAM 256 k
Memory bank 0 256 MB
Memory bank 1 512 MB

After powering up the the first screen where I hit delete to enter setup appears, since this problem started it usually flashes by too fast to do anything even if I'm pressing the delete button repeatedly.

Next comes the "Alert! front panel audio cable not detected" as it has for for the past few years then immediately followed by "Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

I should add that all my keyboards have an F lock that doesn't seem to work until windows has booted up so any alternatives advice for getting around that is also appreciated.

·
Registered
40,870 Posts
The L1 and L2 cache are your motherboard Bios memory.
Run Memtest with ONE stick of RAM in at a time. If there is any RED at the bottom of the screen (errors) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced. Test each stick individually.

·
TSF Emeritus
16,395 Posts
I would suggest you bootup on a bootable floppy or cd and examine the drive. Do you see the boot files ntdetect, ntldr and boot.ini at the root of the drive?

If ntldr is corrupt you will get that message

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to MemTest : L1 cache 8k and L2 cache 256 k

According to Bios : Cache RAM 256 k
Memory bank 0 256 MB
Memory bank 1 512 MB

After powering up the the first screen where I hit delete to enter setup appears, since this problem started it usually flashes by too fast to do anything even if I'm pressing the delete button repeatedly.

Next comes the "Alert! front panel audio cable not detected" as it has for for the past few years then immediately followed by "Windows NT has found only 495K of low memory. 512K of low memory is required to run Windows NT. You may need to upgrade your computer or run a configuration program provided by the manufacturer"

I should add that all my keyboards have an F lock that doesn't seem to work until windows has booted up so any alternatives advice for getting around that is also appreciated.
I did run the sticks individually, 3 times each.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would suggest you bootup on a bootable floppy or cd and examine the drive. Do you see the boot files ntdetect, ntldr and boot.ini at the root of the drive?

If ntldr is corrupt you will get that message
:hide: Can you please elaborate on the first part? After a quick google search I'm still not sure what to do here.

·
Registered
40,870 Posts
If there is any RED at the bottom of the screen (errors) that stick is bad and needs to be replaced
You didn't say, so I would assume that Memtest tested the RAM and there were no errors?
As for what Cephlapod suggests, download either the ISO image for Seatools, or Drive Fitness in my signature and burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature and boot off of the newly created CD and run the Quick and the Advanced tests on the HDD.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran both the advanced and quick tests with drivefitness and they both said "operation completed successfully" disposition code 0x00.

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
5,143 Posts
You mention that you've made no hardware changes, have you made any software changes? Boy this brings back memories of managing the autoexec.bat and config.sys files in early DOS and Windows days to manage what stuff was being loaded prior to the OS. You didn't load any real old games or anything did you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm trying to remember, I don't believe I've loaded any old games recently that were not already installed for at least a few months.

If the hard drive passed drivefitness could i just stick it in a newer computer and run everything off of the newer computer's os or will the copy windows on the drive interfere with the newer computer?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually I got the same problem! I have never seen this before. I got two brand new out of the box Dell T3500 that im trying to RIS. But its the same problem with both of them!?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.