Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tured on my pc today,which is connected to a stardard router with the usual SPI firewalls and NAT, and is always on broadband. I opened a word document and then the Windows NT/Authority RPC box came on and it proceeded to shutdown my pc after the 60 second countdown. This is exactly like what all those worms caused a while ago , but i dont see how it infected me. I have no software firewall running and i havent for 2 years or so and ive been fine. My pc runs winxp pro sp2, ive checked the other pc' s on my network and they work fine(they run winxp home sp2) . I have update date av,antispyware, and the windows updates. Im wondering what fix can i run to get rid of this and what do i potentially need to do to prevent getting infected again.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can cancel the shutdown when this happens. Just open a command prompt and type shutdown -a. In the meantime, I would recommend that you do the following:

Download HijackThis. Unzip it to a permanent location (not in a temp folder). Run a scan, and save the log file. Copy and paste the log file, along with your problem, into a new thread on the HijackThis Log Help Forum (not this forum). The analysts will scan your log file to check for any malicious programs running on your system (viruses, trojans, worms, spyware, etc). If anything is found, they will provide you with steps to thoroughly cleanse your computer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.