Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my windows os, but which is most likey a result of a hardrive problem. Heres my story:

I use windows xp home, and ubuntu 6.10 linux on a dual boot. I went to griends house, and brought my tower there. Then I brought my tower back home via car, though I put my ower on the side, we hit a bump and there might've been damage to the tower. When I got home with my friend, we turned on my pc, and immediatly it would not load ubuntu. So we opened it up and discovered allot of dust had appeared, and vacuumed it all up, and phew ubuntu started working again. The problem is, windows wouldn't even boot anymore, I'd come to login, if I took an extra second or two to put in my password, windows would shut the system down automatically, and if I could login, it still would shutdown pretty soon. So we concluded there probably was a hardrive problem (though Linux would work). So to test this out, I used the restore disk to restore my computer to factory conditions (with windows xp). The same problem occured that had occured before. I came to reinstall linux (this time pclinux os, though ubuntu could work to), and it worked, and is working. Though we are guessing its hardware problems, it seems my system now only works with linux and not windows xp. What should I do? I'mm considering installing a new hardrive. Is that a good decision?

· Registered
696 Posts
before buying a new hdd I would recommend downloading the hard drive's diagnostic utilities usually available at the manufacturer's web site. If there is anything physically wrong with the disk it should be able to tell you.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely that would be used for windows (the utilities), plus I'm using linux and my wireless card is not working for some reason too. My question is still, is it the hardrive?

· Registered
7,761 Posts
You will need to download the drive manufacturers disk utility and run a diagnostic against the drive. You can download and create a bootible floppy version that does not require an OS.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
craps

I just got a new hardrive and a new video card, both work but my windows won't run. I several copies of the disc, I install it but it has an error when booting up. Everything else seems to working even linux is. Its odd.
(also my wire;ess netowrk card which is external is broken now too so I can't even go online with linux and add things)

If anyone can guess an issue or problem post, I'm gonna send it to a repair shop, maybe they can figure out the problem.

I'm gonna try to burrow a windows xp disc from someone else, install it and try to see if that would work, untill then help!

· Registered
25,231 Posts
if you dont have any data that is critical to you to restore

then I would zero fill your original hard drive (wipe & erase) then reinstall windoze

use this its free >>>>http://dban.sourceforge.net/

post back with your progress

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a factory restore disc I use, its bootable, wipes the hardrive and reinstalls windoze. Thats what I have several copies of, I've been using it for a long time too, and now things aren't working. THats why I wanna get a real copy.

^Plus I use daiks nuke & boot before anyway.

· Registered
25,231 Posts
I advise you do soem research on the contents and capabilites of your restore disk. They do not zero fill drives!

partition & format = yes

wipe & erase = NO

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.