Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to install win 7 on my computer again. It had been quite awhile between formats and I figured my HDD could use a good cleaning. I have run into this problem before, but all attempts I did last time have either not worked, or I've forgotton how to fix it.

What happened is this. I inserted my Win 7 disk and followed the prompts. I chose 32 bit, and formatted my partition for good measure. After the install I followed the prompts regarding my computer name, date and time, and automatic updates. After the install was finished the computer restarted and I ran into the problem that has bothered me all day. My computer states at the top "DMI Pool is updating...Update sucessful". It then gives a prompt and nothing else. The computer also stops responding to CTRL ALT DEL or any keyboard commands and must be hard shut down.

I'm out of ideas at this point. I've done all of the following with the exact same result.

Installed both 32 bit and 64 bit, formatted and deleted partitions, made new partitions, formatted again, and installed 32 and 64 on both a new partition and unallocated space.

I even dug up an old win 98 Fdisk, wrote zeroes of the HDD and tried both 32 and 64 again with the exact same result.

My computer is an old Acer Aspire, I couldn't recall the model and it's not printed on the computer itself anymore.

AMD Dual Core 2.10 Processor
2.50 GB Ram DDR2 5300
Onboard Intel chipset, cannot recall the video card.
PCI Express 16x Radeon 4000 series HD video card.

If any more information is needed please let me know, I've tried booting without CD, with CD, I've set my BIOS prompts to every configuration I can think of and nothing seems to be working.

Thanks in advance for your time it is greatly appreciated ^_^

·
Registered
149 Posts
What model# is the computer? Did you check to make sure that it is compatible with windows 7? Also you might want to try and remove the pci video card. See if it will boot with the on board video.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately it is an old model 4 yrs+, and all identification is gone. I know it can run win 7, its run both 32 and 64 bit win 7 ultimaye for several years now, and the card wasn't a problem in my last install. I have a working theory, Last time this happened I had an ethernet cable plugged in when I installed, and this time it had the same...the ethernet was plugged in when the system had zeroes written so I'm going to wipe it again and try. If that doesn't work I'll remove the card

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An update for the night.

I have removed the PCI card and I have zeroed the hard drive twice, and no change. It makes no sense, this exact software has not worked on this computer yet, but the version of win 7 has. The software works just fine in different systems, -

I was able to find the model #. Its an Acer Aspire M1100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive tried all the steps on both guides. This only started happening with the new software. I'll dig up my old software and see if we get somewhere with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The problem has been solved, (typing this from the fixed computer)

Turns out it was the OS I was trying to install. It worked perfectly fine on other machines, but my computer rejected it for some reason. This OS is the exact same verision, same stats, just physically different, and it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.